Just bought a South Bend 7" shaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a South Bend 7" shaper

Title explains what I've just commited myself to and have posted pretty well the same questions over on the P.M. board in the South Bend section, But I'm a firm belevier in that it's far better to have more info than you need than not enough.

Deal is done and the check will go out monday a.m. As I have to go back to work for a 2 wk. shift the seller will hold till I can arrange shipping.

So anybody have some ideas on what I should be looking for after I get it? Excessive wear points, Lube types, Required adjustments ect.

Seller is not the original owner but swears it has the original paint. If so the picture shows very little paint wore off or chips, Also say's it is in very good condition. Shaper comes complete with original S.B. stand and a vice. Asked if it was a S.B. vice but seller has it stored and can't tell me for sure. The one picture I have is pretty small so it's hard to tell. Since I've wanted one of these for over 20 yrs. and the money was avalible at the same time I bought it. Price I thought was a little high at $800.00 american. Since South Bend shapers don't grow on trees around here, I said to hell with it and got it anyway. NO!!! I'm not posting the picture I have as I don't want to jinx the deal.

One more question, Anybody know what a 7" South bend shaper, Stand, And vice weigh?

Pete

Good luck with your shaper Pete. Don't worry about the price, you could wait another 20 years before finding one much cheaper, it's a crap shoot. I paid 700 for mine about 2 years ago and felt I paid to much for it too but at least it's out in the shop waiting for me and I can cross it off my list of tools I'd like to own someday!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Don't know off hand what the shaper weighs - but I suspect it's somewhere near what the 7" Atlas has for heft. Expect ~250 pounds for the machine, plus another 20 for a vice and 100 or so for the stand.

What do you need next? Depends on what it comes with for toolholders. You can also make a number of useful toolholding items. An internal keyway tool is very useful. Do some web searches on shapers - there's a lot of information to read through.

I've got two small shapers - an Atlas and an AAMCO; while not the most used tools in the shop, these machines handle some classes of work very nicely and are a welcome addition to the home shop. You can not beat the finish from a properly set up shaper. What would I like to add to my collection of shapers and tools? Why, a bigger shaper - of course!

-Carl

Comment

Y.O.D. Thanks for the price info, Makes me feel a lot better.
        If the seller is being 100% truthfull (and I think he is) then I may have got a O.K. deal, not a steal, But as they don't and won't be making anymore of these, What are they going to be worth 20 yrs. from now? Me I don't care as I bought it to use but as it's not made anymore I think a person will look after it just a little better than if they knew you could order parts from the factory at any time.

Pete

Comment

Disassemble the ratchet mechanism and the table feed screw assembly - these are weak points. Pick the belly button lint out of the ways wipers and check all the oilers and oil lines to be sure they're not fouled.

If you don't have a book lemme know - I have a nice first generation scan set from the original manual. Take pictures, brag it up, show it off!

I paid $850 USD for mine and was happy to get such a deal. But it is a very clean low-time shaper.

Doh! I'm an idiot!! I misread that. I have Atlas stuff. Similar but different. But enjoy it!!
          Last edited by dp; 04-11-2009, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Carl, Yeah I'd love a bigger shaper but due to where I live, (14 x 70 moble home) That won't happen till I move. Plus anything larger at this point will go in my mini brideport clone, Basicly a jet 8-36 model with power down feed on the head, Made by Bemato, So I think I'm well covered there. I bought the S.B. for jobs the mill can't or doesn't do as well. Internal gears, Fine finish on shorter dovetails ect. Other than the money this shaper couldn't have shown up at a worse time as I will be totally redoing my shop to fit the new lathe I just ordered. But without the shaper I'd have redone my shop, Then have no room for it without a lot of work. The room size is about 10'6" x 11' so I REALLY need to preplan and shoehorn equipment in. I'm way over weight on what a sensible person would do, But I've spread that weight fairly well. Then again nobody ever said H.S.M. types were sensible did they?

The wife is going to freak when she get's home and I tell her "MY" good news. Man I wish I could hide it from her. I have an idea that this is going to cost me a bit more than the price of the shaper.

Pete

Comment

According to South Bend with out motor ,steel stand are tool holder Crated weight is 330 lbs.
              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Pete, I am sure you have made a great purchase!

I have only recently joined the ranks of shaper owners myself but mine is a tiny bechtop Adept.

For the first couple of weeks I was afraid I had bought a toy, sure it 'worked' but it would only take off little grains of metal, nothing like a shaving and any attempt at taking a bigger bight led to awful chatterings. So I spent time on line and found that even big shapers struggle to do vertical slot cuts but I learned a lot. What a shaper can do and some things that it cant. Last evening I had it merrily whirring and clicking as it took nice healty, curly, shavings from a piece of mild steel. I think we are reaching an understanding at last!

So thats my message! They take a little while to get to know the new machine and you will be amazed at the accuracy and uses to which a shaper can be put.

BTW, any problems 'selling' the purchase just put a bit of old junk in the vice, mount a round nosed shearing tool, set it for minimum cut and show her what pretty work it does!
                Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 04-11-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

dp, I'm o.k. on an atlas manual as I have that plus a copy of the factory drawings for every part and casting for a 7" Atlas. These are still for sale from the O.E.M. At one time I had consided making patterns and have some castings made at a foundy but still think it would be too expensive and I'm not sure I have all the skills, time to do it. Still I apreciate the offer.

Pete

Comment

The manual for that machine is in the documentation section of my gallery at http://ixian.ca/gallery
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

That's odd... there's one for sale down here in Texas with an identical description... Don't worry, Pete. I won't try to steal it.

Kerry

Comment

That's odd... there's one for sale down here in Texas with an identical description..
                        What description are you meaning? Identical to what?
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan, I have some S.B. shaper info but will compare what you've got to mine, I think Kmccubbin is comparing my loose descripion to another add. I'm not worried about anyone "stealing" it as the deal as far as a vebal contract goes is done. My gut feeling about the seller after talking with him is that he is your typical hard working and honest Americans. I've met lot's of them when I was running long haul down there and have NEVER been wrong about my gut feelings. I would be shocked if a person like this went back on there word.

Pete

Comment

Here, see for yourself. The description is nearly a perfect match for Pete's description. http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/tls/1117269522.html . What are the odds that 2 of these show up for sale at the same time?

Kerry

Comment

I'd say pretty good odds as my picture is different, Vice ect. Seller is also a long way from Texas that I'm dealing with, I'M POSITIVE my deal is legit.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X