OT: Fun at the print-shop...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Fun at the print-shop...

They think I'm a Machining God at the printing shop.

They also sell a line of brush and brush-related custom products. Actually the Brush Company does printing on the side but the custom printing has far
    eclipsed the brush side of things.

Go figure.

Anyway. Job today was to make some brackets. Considering what I have to work with out there (not much in the way of setup stuff, tools and the Bridgeport is... well the polite term is "fail")... They are thrilled no end to get parts that are .020 out of tolerance because that's far FAR closer than the last two batches... which were out of tolerance by an inch.

A
    Frigging
    Inch.

I am not a machinist. I've mentioned that before. I'm a production monkey who can set up from a print and make a million of them.

Yes I embarrassed no end to admit that the parts are .020 out because of the junk I have to work with... But at least it's closer than an inch.

Owner approached me today about coming on full-time eventually, told him I'd need far better tools (new or less dead Bridgeport) to work with but it is a distinct possibility.

Did I mention I'm having fun here? Still haven't really screen-printed anything yet... been too busy machining, repairing machines and stuff like that.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Good on you, guy! What's the saying? In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king? Sounds like being a machine operator/hsm tinkerer is worlds better than they had. If you're having fun and they're paying you as well, life is good.

David
    Montezuma, IA
    David Kaiser
    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

My last job was at a printing shop, except I was strictly "the machinist", though I did a ton of wrenching too. If your shop is anything close to what I just left, there will be machinin' o' plenty to do just keeping the machines running. I tried to make it a point not to learn how to print (or at least act real stupid about it), mainly because the printers were constantly swimming in ink. I swear the ink must have soaked in to the arm bones on those guys eventually.

Anyways, it's great machining practice. Yer' just probably going to have to figure out how to do good work on that beat up Bridgeport. Then you'll move up from lowly Machining God to Mojo Sorcerer and they'll never want you to leave. Pretty soon you'll be making 30-jewel watches out of pebbles gathered from the parking lot.

Comment

Actually I prefer the phrase "In The Land Of The Pig The Butcher Is King" 'cause that's what I am with these tools.

Its funny but this Bridgeport has more backlash than my Horrendous Fright mill. Well not funny really I have to work with it. Should have paid more attention to the "Rebuild a Bridgeport" threads.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Talk about dung heap and roses
          You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

I picked this job up part time to get some extra money to put twords a new car, we'll see how it goes over the next few but the fact that he's talking "full time/permanent" is cool.

Far cry from the situation I was in previously.

Comment

Patience LZ
              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Good on you as they say. Don't forget the "Honeymoon" syndrome where the new guy gets nearly everything they can afford to do for you. After they get to know you they'll realize you'd sink in Lake Ontario just like they would!
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Adjust the Split Nuts

Take out some of the backlash by adjusting the split nuts on the leadscrews. My round ram B'port had ~.075" of slop on the X axis. I adjusted the split nuts and brought it down to a more manageable .012". I went overboard on the Y axis and got the backlash down to .004", but it was snug towards the ends of the travel.

If your nuts are not already split, you can remove them and split them yourself.
                  There a nice write-up with color photos at: http://metalworking.com/Dropbox/Brid...&-backlash.pdf or you can search the web.

-Mike

Comment

LZ,

One word of advice that I learned the hard way as you are learning too. Aluminum is NOT a metal if that's what the boss thinks. Oxygen burns just great.

BTW, making screen prints is a pretty neat reprographics process, especially when you start combining semitransparent colors in overlays. Using the right dyes (CMY+K) you can do full color prints in three passes (or 4 with K. The K stands for Key Line). In my previous life with Xerox reprographics was my speciality and I had a lot of dealings with various print shops and color printing processes.

I have a tutorial online which is becoming somewhat dated now on how to adjust your computer system so what you see is what you get when you print something. You might pick up a couple of items to help at work.

http://vts.bc.ca/color.htm
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thanks Evan I'll look at that when I get home.

I have no doubt this guy would hesitate to catapult me but for the time being it's going good. Right now he has NO ONE to do the machining and the previous person must have been Ray Charles.

Right now I have two jobs. In this economy, that's very good. There are people who would be very happy to have just one or the other.

Meanwhile, I'm going to ride this as long as possible and hopefully learn something.

Comment

Working...
                      X