Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation

Hello All again,

Well the wife, Karen and I decided to take a vacation. We sent in for new passports and when they get here we are taking off for Europe. We don't have any formal plans or schedule and figured we would travel where ever the mood struck when it did. I expect to be gone for a month or two, but we'll see. They may boot me out before I'm done. If any of you folks think you could put up with me for an afternoon let me know. Karen is quite happy with busying herself while I am out playing, so drop me a note. Or if you think of something I shouldn't miss in 9 or ten countries in the western half lets hear about that. I think we are going to start out in Spain as we have a dear friend there.

If you have contact info or a note, please use my email, the box here fills quickly. Thanks "[email protected]"

Thanks in advance for any input or derogetory remarks, Jay
    Last edited by tiptop; 04-14-2009, 07:59 PM.
    "Just build it and be done"

Jay,

Dunno about a whole afternoon but I reckon I can spare a day if the midlands area of the UK is on the cards for your trip.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John,
      Yes we are planning on swinging through and around the "english" speaking countries as well. I thought a day was longer than an afternoon, I will save some extra energy for your place. Thanks for the offer, it means a lot.
      Jay

Comment

Jay,

Can't help you with the logistics as we are now back in Florida but don't leave Europe without spending some time in Germany. I have spent a good amount of time in the Munich area and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Have a great vacation.

Bob

Comment

Why is it that when our Europeans friends come to visit us here in north America we are expected to pick them up from the airport and then provide first class in house hotel service for the duration of their stay.
          On the other hand, you go there, and you are on your own,
          they have very little time for you.

BTW..do some guided and all paid bus tours when you are there.
          This..."We don't have any formal plans or schedule and figured we would travel where ever the mood struck when it did"..is going to cost you a fortune.

Comment

Al,
            I know and I don't care, I can't take it with me and the wife is set. Thanks for the concern.
            Jay

Comment

You may want to consider some tours while there. The ticket/entry lines can get pretty long for some highly visited sites and tours usually just march through the front door without waiting, allowing you to see much more than doing the line wait. Downside, much more structured, time wise.

Also, enjoy the unadulterated, fresh food, much better than the food here in the U.S., in my opinion.

Most of all, have a wonderful time seeing all those things you've heard and read about all your life and sharing them with your loved one.

Bon Voyage!!!

Fred

Comment

don't leave Europe without spending some time in Germany. I have spent a good amount of time in the Munich area and enjoyed it thoroughly.
                I totally agree. Southern Germany is beautiful and full of small historical towns with history going back a thousand years. One town in particular is very worth seeing, Rothenburg ob der Tauber. It survived WWII largely undamaged thanks to the orders of an American General who struck it from the target list because he liked it and knew there was no reason to destroy it.

We have been there twice and it is the best surviving example of a fortified walled city left in Europe. The city wall is intact and you can walk it along the ramparts for most of the way around. The entire town is very compact and mostly restricted to pedestrians only during the day. The shop keepers all speak english and the innkeepers are very accomodating. Prices are very reasonable.

This is most of the town of Rothenburg. The name refers to the red tile roofs on nearly every building.

This is the Town Square in the evening.

Don't miss Cathy's Christmas Shop in Rothenburg. It's Christmas all year 'round there.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Any plans to see some eastern Europe, Budapest and other destinations are spectacular........

Don't know about those dreary UK types, they have bland food, men wear garters for their socks (the cross dressers sit in Parliment) crooked teeth and drive on the wrong side of the road..........theres only one place I ever want to see garters and thats on some long luscious female legs........LOL
                  Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Originally posted by tiptop
                    John,
                    Yes we are planning on swinging through and around the "english" speaking countries as well. I thought a day was longer than an afternoon, I will save some extra energy for your place. Thanks for the offer, it means a lot.
                    Jay

Jay, how cool would it be if We showed up there on the same day?
                    I'm not sure John could take it though

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by hardtail
                      Any plans to see some eastern Europe, Budapest and other destinations are spectacular........

Don't know about those dreary UK types, they have bland food, men wear garters for their socks (the cross dressers sit in Parliment) crooked teeth and drive on the wrong side of the road..........theres only one place I ever want to see garters and thats on some long luscious female legs........LOL
                      And their families ties are also very close
                      Ken.

Comment

Steve,
                        He would be in the pub for sure.
                        Jay

Comment

If you will be headed down further South, IMO the city of Dubrovnik is worth seeing, or at least it was 40 years ago. People who have been there since say the evidence of Serbian shelling is virtually erased. Back then you could walk the entire city wall, and I understand you still can.

Split is of some interest, but Dubrovnik is probably more impressive and scenic than either Split or Zadar, which you will likely pass through on your way.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

A trip to Spain should include a tour of Barcelona if at all possible. There's no place on earth quite like it, and tourism is developed to a fine art there. Don't be surprised if you see someone you know.

Comment

Don't be surprised if you see someone you know.
                              While standing on the top of a 1000 year old fortress tower in the small and largely unknown town of Eppstein, Germany, we met some people we didn't know but quickly determined that two weeks prior they had been out for a morning jog while visiting a mutual friend that is our neighbour. They knew where we lived when we described it as they recalled jogging past our driveway.

What are the chances of being within a few hundred feet of someone you have never met on one day and then once again two weeks later halfway around the planet?
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X