Help me find a use for this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find a use for this.

I stripped this out of a roller-shutter drum. It's a 320:1 (approx) reduction-gearbox - a stack of epicyclic boxes.

2.25" x 4" with a 1/2" square drive on the end - must have a good use but I can't think of one right now.

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Looks like a dandy fine-feed gearbox for a lathe. Add a cordless drill motor and you'll be getting mirror finishes in no time.

Comment

It looks like it already has a motor. That gadget could be used to drive all sorts of machine motions.

Pete
      1973 SB 10K .
      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

It's part of a perpetual motion machine

You're on the wrong thread!

Comment

Perfect for gearing down a model gas turbine to drive a propellor.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Multi Phase motor Peter?? Agggggggggggggggh no, it's one of THOSE.

Regards Ian
            Last edited by Circlip; 04-16-2009, 09:38 AM.
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

AC or DC?

I suspect that it is single phase AC as mine at least is plugged into the controller outlet supply which is all fed from a domestic single phase supply. I can't see a commutator - but is it DC? Mine runs at a constant speed both ways with no speed adjustment that I am aware of. It has adjustable micro-switches for limit of travel/stop control.

My roller door is 5.1 metre span (~ 16' - 9").

Comment

But don't the controller generate a rotary phase?? New tech, we were looking at these not long ago.

Regards Ian.

Comment

Good point

Good point Ian.

I went back and checked the pic - there are three wires going to the stator/rotor - or could that be for reversal of a single-phase motor?. My electical knowledge stopped at crystal radios.

Comment

Crystal??? Luxury, we 'ad to make do with a lump of Coal.

Comment

Interesting times

No coal at the time Ian - it all went to Newcastle - I think.

But the bloody cat was MOST uncooperative when it came to "get a cat's whisker" time (for the crystal radio).

Geese and ducks were just as bad when it came to "get a new pen" (for writing - of course!!) time.

Comment

It's a single phase ac capacitor run induction motor. Two windings and the capacitor is switched by a mechanical contact to either winding to provide a phase lag. That determines which way the motor turns. They have poor starting torque but with all that gearing it doesn't need it.

On 230 vac it will have all the power it needs and with 50 hz it provides about 9 rpm on the output.
                        Last edited by Evan; 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          It's a single phase ac capacitor run induction motor. Two windings and the capacitor is switched by a mechanical contact to either winding to provide a phase lag. That determines which way the motor turns. They have poor starting torque but with all that gearing it doesn't need it.

On 230 vac it will have all the power it needs and with 50 hz it provides about 9 rpm on the output.
                          That pretty much describes it perfectly. I have another, slightly smaller, which is still assembled complete with limit switches and capacitor. Only thing it does when powered however is hum.

Evan the gas turbine idea is great but I don't know if the gearbox would stand the input RPM, the first gear set has the annular ring built into the plastic end-cap.
                          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Try another capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
                              That pretty much describes it perfectly. I have another, slightly smaller, which is still assembled complete with limit switches and capacitor. Only thing it does when powered however is hum.
                              Wot tune ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X