Bent Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent Shaft

Following on from robo's thread about the bent screw on his mill I'd like to ask the forums views on this bent shaft.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/P1000673.MOV

Do you think a well placed whack with a rawhide hammer will cure this ?
    The shaft is 2- 1/2" in diameter BTW.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Naww. Wait for the circus to come to town and present it to the strong man.

Comment

Unlikely you'd be able to remedy using the cross slide either

20-50T hydraulic press, I'm thinking.
      Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

You must have a BIG rawhide hammer.
        Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

It all depends. If you can hit it in the right spot with the correct amount of force and no more. It should come straight. but the odds are slim to none. But look at it this way it`s screwed up now so you cant make it any worse. Only better.When You Are In A Hole Stop Digging.
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Lane,
            I like your odds. problem is this has to be knob on as there is a massive pulley fitted to this and even a couple of thou run out will make this puppy wobble all over and it runs at 3,000 rpm

The start of the bend is inside the winding and there is no way to support this on vee blocks under a press.
            Touch the winding and I'm dead.

Forgot to add, it's wanted for 11:00am tomorrow

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

11:00 am !
              Well you will have to be up by 10:00

Looks like a job for STUBMAN

Good luck and post pics

eddie
              please visit my webpage:
              http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Well i was going to say you are out of luck. But I know better than that . Cover the armature and start welding.Good luck.
                Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by lane
                  say you are out of luck. But I know better than that .
                  Hah!, aint that the truth -- Sir John will no doubt pull the rabbit out of the hat....

You will share the outcome wont you??
                  If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Looks to be about the same effort as straightening out a set of bengt phorks (google) on a murdercycle. If that doesn't work I'd install it in an already noisey hunk of machinery where a little more noise won't be noticed.

Comment

john knows the solution already

he will turn it down till true ..

then deposit weld on it ...and turn again to original diameter.

all the best.markj

Comment

You must have a really big f'ing rawhide hammer if you think that will cure this....

Here's two ways I can think of curing this.

Press: Take a short section of very stout I-beam, lay one end on the lower frame of your 50 ton Hydraulic press, perpendicular to the axis of the press. Create a makeshift vee-block fixture; one end supports the bent shaft end of the armature down to the I-beam, at a level close to the end of the press shaft, so the press presses down on the long end of the bent shaft at or near the end of the shaft. The other end of the vee-block fixture will try to move towards the ceiling, so affix a length of stout chain around the end down to the I-beam, taking up the slack with a load-binder.

Indicate your bent end to start so you know how far you are out to begin, and mark the high spot. Align press shaft on mark, indicate underneath, apply pressure to bear down on shaft. Do a test; if you have a pressure gauge on the press, press beyond your initial indication reading noting the press pressure, de-fixture and re-measure runout. You are trying to find out how much pressure causes fixture deflection vs bending the shaft back. You should try to creep up on the bend. Should only take a few tries to get it straight.

Weld method. Weld a bead along the negative indication of the shaft bend. Weld will pull the shaft in that direction. May take a few beads. Turn shaft afterward to clean off weld beads on the one side.... Protect the windings from heat with wet rags close to the windings.

Let us know how you make out.....

Comment

When they are bent as you describe we pressed them out and made a new shaft. The rotors with laminations have to be pressed out and back in from the same end and some times it's hard to see which end has the bent lamination showing the direction of pressing.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Yup,what Carl said,last one I did was 125hp,bent in a helix.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                              Following on from robo's thread about the bent screw on his mill I'd like to ask the forums views on this bent shaft.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/P1000673.MOV

Do you think a well placed whack with a rawhide hammer will cure this ?
                              The shaft is 2- 1/2" in diameter BTW.

I would of like to seen this as you do some amazing magic with shafting. But for some reason I can not get this thing to play on any app. Could you post this on youtube or at least put a photo so we that can not see what's what at least have a idea.

Thanks
                              Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X