2 axis DRO for Vertical Milling machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 axis DRO for Vertical Milling machine

I would like to know what brand or company you guys recommend for purchasing a DRO on a vertical milling machine ( table size 10 x 54 )

thanks
    mike

My mill had a Newall C80 when I got it. I'm quite happy with it. There are cheaper brands out there of course.

Comment

Can Do Machinery, they are great and reasonable. Newall DRO's are very good.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

I have had good luck with Accurite and Anilam, but I have a Mitutoyo in a box waiting to go on my Monarch. I have also heard good stuff about the Jennix units - very accurate glass scales and made in Korea. They all seem to crap out at some point, so I would suggest buying one from someone you think will be there a couple of years down the road.

Comment

Mike I posted a question on DRO's a few days back and got a bunch of good information. There are a lot of DRO's out there and most of them us a glass scale. Price seems to be big thing for most people. I found prices ranging from $400 to 2K for 2 axis units. I choose the Shooting Star 3 axis which uses a rack and Pinion type mechanism. Sounded more durable than glass. And the ST has a 5 year warranty and have been in around for a long time. A good old google search will produce a lot of information for you.
          Good luck in your adventure
          Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

480$ or 540$ for the fancier one. Both glass scales. If they break after 5 years, who cares?
            Meister DRO.

http://www.meisterdro.com/servlet/th...out/Categories

Comment

Anilam ,Accurite ,and Newell All very good . I prefer Anilam.
              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will start my search. I will research before I make the purchase. Your ideas and thoughts will certainly come in handy.

mike

Comment

You can look at my site www.digitalreadoutsystem.com. We carry most brands at very reasonable prices.

Regards,
                  Tim Barnard
                  LMSC
                  877-376-4373

Originally posted by clippershack
                  I would like to know what brand or company you guys recommend for purchasing a DRO on a vertical milling machine ( table size 10 x 54 )

thanks
                  mike

Comment

I'll 2nd the recommendation of www.candomachinery.com as a good source. I was very pleased by their service and prices. Mike was very good about answering my numerous questions, both before and after the sale.

I bought an Acu-Rite, but they sell all the major brands.

One question you need to answer is, how much accuracy do you want? I decided I wanted +/- 0.0002" resolution scales, which eliminated (at the time) many of the cheaper units that were +/- 0.0005". Since then, the cost for 0.0002" resolution scales has come down, especially if you're willing to buy the Asian scales. But, I tend to think you get what you pay for, one way or another. I'm very happy with the Acu-Rite.
                    ----------
                    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                    X