OT: RC Sidewinder Missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: RC Sidewinder Missile

This is too cool. Can anybody see for sure how it is propelled? I suspect a small prop in the slots of the forward fins. It sure does fly well.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/941727...inder_missile/
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Found a copy - there are indeed counter-rotating props (!) in the slotted fins which helps to explain the good control when hovering...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501856

RC gear is a lot smaller than when I were a lad...

Comment

Here's another vid from the same guy:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/223712...new_freestyle/

Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington
        which helps to explain the good control when hovering...
        I can't tell you how many hours of stick time it takes to have the type of control that gentleman has of his models.

The massive strides in electric motor/battery efficiency and the reduction in size & weight of the r/c gear is fantastic stuff but the skills and hand-eye coordination required to perform that little video is indeed awesome.
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

But if you look at some of the displays using "Conventially Shaped" airframes on the same site ???????????????

Regards Ian.
          You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

SO, how many of you flew a model using a rubber band powered escapement?

How many of you still have the escapement and receiver?

Comment

A good pilot, and "Gyros".
              Gene

Comment

Evan, Mom threw out my Babcock escapement and Aerotrol rcvr about 40 yrs ago.

Circlip, I was referring to the 2nd video dp linked to. That's some awesome flying.
                Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  SO, how many of you flew a model using a rubber band powered escapement?

How many of you still have the escapement and receiver?
                  Neither, I did build a receiver with an ?? XFG1 gas-filled triode ??, for a boat not a plane. Never completely finished the model, though

Tim

Comment

Still got the rubber band

Some years ago I was sorting some boxes out and found my old single channel R/C control, probably one of the early transistor models all it could do was switch a relay.

Switch a relay ??? the light went on.
                    So while Gert was out I put this across the back of the doorbell went across to my mates garage opposite and waited.

Gert came back, put the shopping away and settled down.
                    Ding Dong.
                    She comes to the door and no one there, settles back down.

Ding Dong.

Rushes to the door, thows it open, no one there.

This went on for a few minutes and in the end she was hiding behind the curtains waiting to pounce.

Ding Dong, rips the door open, no one there , just going to close the door and it went Ding Dong follows by peals of maniacal laughter from across the street.

In true Queen Victoria style "She was not amused "

I was though

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Practicing for a career as a monk, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington
                        Found a copy - there are indeed counter-rotating props (!) in the slotted fins which helps to explain the good control when hovering...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501856

I looked at the pictures on the RCGroups site and I only see one prop on that model. Where is the second one?

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by topct
                          A good pilot, and "Gyros".
                          I highly doubt the gyro's. It's all about the CG being correct in 3 planes, not just one or two like most airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by BillH
                            I highly doubt the gyro's. It's all about the CG being correct in 3 planes, not just one or two like most airplanes.
                            Unless someone can document proof that he is not using gyros in the missile I have to believe that he is. It would be a perfect application of what is available.

It's those tiny wings and how finite he must control them. An assist would be really cool. And make it flyable.
                            Gene

Comment

I wager there are no gyros used. Look again at the pics on the RCGroups site.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X