Cross Slide Lock for Grizzly G4003G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross Slide Lock for Grizzly G4003G

I have had my Grizzly G4003G for almost a year and like it very much. One of the problems I have had along with a few other members is the lack of a cross slide lock. Because the DRO is mounted on the tail stock side there is no way to get to the gibs to lock the slide. After a number of attempts I came up with this solution. I uses the 2 shcs that hold the upper portion of the saddle to the lower section. It is a simple block of 6061 drilled & counter bored for longer shcs and 2 threaded holes with brass heads to hold the slide in place. I used 3/8 16 threaded rod and put felt on the end of the brass. I used 2 but 1 would probably work. I often wear a belt & suspenders (braces for those of you across the pond). On the first job I had to cut some 1.625 crs down to .25 leaving a small shaft sticking out of the large dia. The cut was .015 deep and the lock held the DRO to .00000 to .00002
    Hope this helps someone here as I have gotten so much help from others.
    thanks
    ed
    Last edited by gr8life; 04-18-2009, 12:54 AM.

That looks like an easy solution. If I'm not mistaken it covers the oilers for that side of the carriage, though, no? I have the little brother of that lathe and at least on mine it would be a small effort to relocate the oiler and drill through. I'll have to take a look tomorrow when it's warmer in the shop

Comment

Does not cover the oilers, they are on the tail stock side.

Comment

Excellent - mine has two there but it looks like they can be worked into the design. Thanks for the nice idea!

Comment

How timely, I was wondering how to do this on mine because I have the DRO on the tailstock side, thanks for the great idea, I'm building one this weekend.

Comment

Working...
          X