Here's a slick vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a slick vise

My neighbor gave me yesterday... Said his dad gave it to him, but didn't mention when.
    Stamped on top of the jaws is "hi-test", "Made in Poland", and "No. 327". Jaws are 4" wide, open to 6.5", has an adjustable gib, and interestingly enough it's the back jaw that moves...

Anyone seen one of these? Do they have a name?

Andy

Hey, maybe this was designed by the same guy that came up with "reverse Polish notation!" It really makes a lot of sense, since you have a goodly width clear of the edge of the bench, but for real wide stuff it is almost on the bench.
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

So when your pounding on the anvil part your really pounding on the ways. Oh yea, thats probally why it has adjustable ways!! After all it is polish!!
      Last edited by ahidley; 04-20-2009, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I have a very nice German vise, Schleigle? that is designed the same way.

Comment

I thought that the front jaw on an engineers vice moved so that long items could hang down away from the bench, the polish vice pictured a thick object that had depth would hit the bench.

Peter
          I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

The OP's vise keeps the weight over the bench. Less tippy? Less 'moment arm' when hammering?

Comment

Thanks for the pics.

I alway like to see 'out of the box' thinking. There are so many regular vises and I thought I'd seen them all - now you've added a whole new class.

Comment

Those gibs look better than the cross feed on the lathe I just sold.
                There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
                The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Comment

I always thought that a shaper vise should be made this way so you work against the fixed jaw.
                  BudB

Comment

Good thinking Bud, Seems to me to make a lot of sense, Some of the early old draw cut shapers, cut in towards the frame of the machine, but they were always huge powerfull things.

Comment

Daryll is correct, there is a German vise built that way that is very sought after, can't remember the name but I have an old rusty one under the bench that the scrappie gave me.
                      It's something like fingermitzentrappen
                      Some guy keeps ringing me up wanting to buy it but I'm certain he just wants to clean it up and Ebay it so sod it, it can stay where it is.

Never appealed to me because I was always taught that you hung two pieces of metal down from the jaws, slid it back on the bench then fastened it in that position. With the moving rear jaw this isn't possible, I'll dig it out tomorrow just to get a pic and the name off it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I had one of those but a crack started in the moving jaw. It
                        didn't make a good arbor press so it went to an electronics tech
                        who wanted to hold citcuit boards.

Comment

Originally posted by ahidley
                          So when your pounding on the anvil part your really pounding on the ways. Oh yea, thats probally why it has adjustable ways!! After all it is polish!!
                          I know most of us are guilty of it, but most smaller vices are not really designed for "pounding" on. This one has a swivel base and I reckon it would be great for light work, particularly filing.

bollie7

Comment

There was an American vise, the Yankee, made by the same folks who made the Yankee screwdriver that works the same way, I have a few.

They came in several sizes and had a bench mount that swivels. The vise could be removed from the mount and used separately as a drill press vise as well. Very handy little vise, I have one mounted on a piece of angle I clamp in the large bench vise for fine work.

It makes me dizzy(er) when the wrong jaw moves.
                            Jim H.

Comment

I had one of those also until I gave it to a son who was just setting up house. Bought it for about $30 in 1975. A nice vise for its size, and I never had any problems with it. Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X