What's your longest chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your longest chip?

Does anyone else have the strange compulsion to save your chips? They're often so dramatic as they come off the lathe, and so fragile. A short lived beauty created as a bi-product of work. The one pictured is quite a bit over 12 feet in length, and leaves me wondering what's the longest you've ever captured.

Gary
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

I've had a few snake down the floor like that, but I'm more concerned about them zeroing in on a power outlet or extension cord, or getting wrapped around the work on the chuck. They seem most prevalent when turning fast heavy cuts with carbide inserts. Some never curl at all - just a long straight razor sharp wire. I try to discourage them.
    Last edited by dp; 04-20-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
      I Some never curl at all - just a long straight razor sharp wire.
      Yeah, don't you just love 'em when they shoot straight down to where your hand is on the crank!
      Cheers,

Frank Ford
      HomeShopTech

Comment

I was cutting off some aluminium knobs today and found in the
        chip pan an interesting bit. I'll take a pix tomorrow and post it.
        ...lew...

Comment

Anybody got some marinara sauce?

IMO long chips are dangerous. As noted they wrap around chucks and the work piece, or get o be birds nests. Personaly I prefer to get either those little 6's or nice tight curls about 1" long like little rotini
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

PVC makes some nice spirals if you get everything "just right."
            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Longest chip? Probably this one.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The longest I've gotten was about 10 feet of 316 SS razor wire.
                -Dan S.
                dans-hobbies.com

Comment

I've had a big one on my shoulder for well over 50 years now, does that count?

Comment

A little over 1400'. I make a UHMW part, and that chip doesn't break. Most of the time I can get it to go in the pan, but every now and then it decides to wrap around the part, that's a PITA.
                    Harry

Comment

4130 bout the size of a note book spring .150" wide nearly 20' long.I kept pushing over with my foot and managed to steer it out the shop door and under the front counter before it broke.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Evan, I had the same problem cutting some HVLP so I got the idea to take a utility knive and score the stock lengthwise before turning. The strings fall off by the circumference of the stock !! Much easier to deal with.
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I do not use power feed (Lack of a seperate feed bar = ) so my longest is probably three feet long, UHMW. Those get snipped with the scissors so I often do not know.

Comment

long chips

Nothing makes longer chips then the old box tools on a turret lathe.
                            Years ago I saw a chip that crossed the shop floor and parking lot and was steered out to the street and it crossed the street before it broke.

Jim

Comment

Forrest Addy said in some disscussion a few years ago a tale about a guy in the shipyard that had a 288 foot long chip of steel.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X