Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about shop/home security

Typical senario:

Economy is down the crapper. Lot of people out of work now and the latest reports are that burgleries have increased 10 fold. My neighbor up the road a piece was burgled in broad daylight. The sheriff said it's happening all over.

So what steps have you taken to secure your shop/tools/home?
    Any good ideas you'd like to pass along.

Good show on a 500 pound dog and a S/W at your side.

Phone home burglar alarm service, freaking loud sirens, motion sensing hi-res video, software that calls my cell phone immediately, a 10mm Glock, and a sign on the porch that says Caution: my wife is a red-head and I'm not afraid to use her.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
      a 10mm Glock,.

You aren't supposed to tell people what Your "drop" gun is. The Police are supposed to find it on the corpse.

Steve

Comment

I have passed along your concerns to the White House and I am sure they will attend to the matter promptly.

Comment

Get some crime scene tap and place a white body outline in the front yard maybe a little sign that says "Last SOB dropped HERE" . But seriously a good fence and good lights and a big dog will do wonders.
          Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

We're watching you...

An alarm system that even plays with the kids...What more can you ask for?

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Patch
              Any good ideas you'd like to pass along.
              Support your local police & fire departments - pay your taxes, help them out by letting 'em know (and your neighbors) when you're out of town, and live in a diverse neighborhood - one w/ young people, retired folks, and working-age people. Know your neighbors, help them when you can and it will come back to you ten fold.

When I was in college, the fashionable folks lived in well-to-do (well, for 1980 young college types :-)) suburbs; I lived in a house in a trailer park. There was never anyone home during the day in the nice areas, so the riff-raff would have a field day, stealing stereos, bikes, etc. No one ever bugged us in the trailer park; there were always residents walking about, doing stuff; everyone knew their neighbors. I don't think we ever had any robberies in the 4 years we lived there, but everyone thought it was a sketchy place to live, since it wasn't all nice and new looking.
              Bart Smaalders
              http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

http://www.bbssystem.com/viewtopic.php?t=1414
                Neighborhood watch literature from the meeting here.

I've shot the tire off a truck, held people for the police with a double barrel shotgun, been stolen from twice since then. It only takes one or two crappy families to screw up a neighborhood. I feel like a housewarming party, but try to act civilized.

How to keep a thief out of your backyard? hang one in the front yard.
                Last edited by Dawai; 04-22-2009, 07:13 AM.
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Funny you mention this topic. I just had my burgalar alarm system out to the range yesterday for the first time and was very pleased with the results. I have a Colt Officers Model 45 in stainless with Pachmeyer grips. Put 100 rounds through it and kept them all on paper plate targets at 45 feet. I have the utmost confidence I can keep my tools on my property. My actual alarm system isn't for discussion on this board
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Alarms - guns

I like your "metal" solutions - and I love dogs.
                    Neighbors are a very good solution.
                    However, that having been said, as a life long dedicated shooter and amateur gunsmith I believe that a pistol is only good for fighting your way to a rifle or shotgun- LOL
                    Bill
                    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

360 pan capability via remote control, IR night vision that actually works.
                      There are more in undisclosed locations that are nearly impossible to find.

Night view of the driveway on IR only.

Tooth based security:

Beardog on duty on her guard tower:

Backup, mainly for appearance, 180 lbs and good subsonics.

Also, 2000 watts of remote controllable halogen floods, occasional laser ignition testing, occasional unannounced blasting, unidentifiable sounds from unidentifiable sources as well as inexplicable beams of light pointed at space at 3am.

Remaining capability is classified but extends beyond property lines.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I find the boards' lack of concern and compassion for those less fortunate than us a little disturbing.

Comment

The main criminal element here are drug dealers and their clients as well as a small but very active group of native youths that will never have to work for a living or pay for a house as long as the rest of us pay taxes. I find that rather disturbing and hold zero compassion for their "plight".
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

/me Reels Evan in and throws him in the basket

Comment

Originally posted by tony ennis
                              I find the boards' lack of concern and compassion for those less fortunate than us a little disturbing.
                              If you are hungry enough to steal my stuff then come ask me for it and I'll likly give it to you. Or, ask your church parishoners for some help. That's one of the big advantages of going to church and knowing your congregation.

If you mean we have no compassion for the guys who ask the question of how to protect your stuff I think you are wrong. My security would be easy to get around if you know what it was. I don't have big dollars invested in my system as it is, after all, a home shop. Suffice it to say if someone entered my shop in the middle of the night I'd know about immediately and silently. I don't believe in sirens except for when you are not home. I don't want the guy to know that I know he's there, I want to catch the guy who has his eye on my belongings so I don't have to worry about him tomorrow night.
                              Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-22-2009, 09:10 AM.
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X