Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Enco 1525 mill plug wiring

Greetings

I bought a used Enco 1525 mill (8x36) couple weeks ago. An American Rotary phase converter is on the way.

The existing plug on the mill is an American 4 prong plug with the original Chinese 4 wire cable with the wires marked 1 2 3 4 with 4 being a ground. The ground on the plug is marked W. The other plug connections are X Y Z.

I've not hooked up a rotary phase converter before but I'm not seeing anything problematic except trying to identify the remaining 3 wires going to the 2 speed/forward-reverse switch on the mill.

American Rotary uses L1 the same as T1 and L2 the same as T2. T1 & T2 are the single phase 220v wires with T3 being the 3 phase wire from the generator motor to the mill.

The factory (excuse me for the joke) manual from Enco (circa 1993) actually has a wiring diagram and shows the 3 phase motor and shows L1 L2 L3 magcially converted into U V W.

The current Enco PDF manual for the 1525 has a poorer rendition of the same with unreadable wire labels going into the rotary switch. The original and very readable 1993 paper manual does not show the wires labeled in the sub-drawing of the switch. They should be the same U V W and if I had to bet money I'd say they were probably in the same order so ok fine.

The problem, my problem, is identifying the Enco drawing wiring L1 L2 L3 and correlating that with the American Rotary installation diagram showing L1 L2 L3.

I'm not going to use a plug in the new wiring installation. I'm hard wiring the mill into the converter box with #10 cable, 4 wire.

Has any of this made any sense and can anyone clue me in to the secret Chinese formula for matching up the wiring? Wires 1 2 3 go to......?

thanks
    Dutch
    Last edited by Dutch51; 04-23-2009, 04:00 AM.

Hi Dutch51,

I'll take a shot at answering your question since I see no one else has yet. The mill is basically a Bridgeport clone and so are the electronics I believe. I have a Bridgeport that I rebuilt last year and built my own converter. From that experience I would say L1=T1=1=X in those drawings. You have to keep phase in mind of course. The drum switch just swaps two phases at once to give you reverse. Nothing special really about that. So if I understand your question correctly its just a matter of keeping in mind what lines are for what phase and which ones of that phase are for line and load.

The plug on your machine has 1,2,3,4 which to me correspond to x,y,z,Neutral and a 5th wire should be there for ground in proper 3 phase configuration. Looking at it another way that translates to phase A, phase B, phase C, neutral and a ground. Does that answer your question or did I go off in the wrong direction??

You can try my web page if that helps. I have a bunch of stuff related to what your doing posted there.

http://www.metalmelter.com/

Cheers!

Eric
    "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison

Better to have tools you don't need than to need tools you don't have

73's KB3BFR

Comment

As long as you connect the ground to ground, the other three leads on a three phase motor don't care how they are connected. They will go to the T1, T2 & T3 terminals in the phase convertor. If the motor runs in reverse, simply switch any two motor leads.
      Jim H.

Comment

Just a question from an electrical challenged person? Does 3 phase use a neutral wire? I have not run into a neutral in my (limited) experience. JIM
        jim

Comment

I used the terminals at the rotary switch on my mill for identifying the proper connections, since as you have discovered - each end of the power cord is marked differently.

But JCHannum's advice is sound also.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
            As long as you connect the ground to ground, the other three leads on a three phase motor don't care how they are connected. They will go to the T1, T2 & T3 terminals in the phase convertor. If the motor runs in reverse, simply switch any two motor leads.
            Simple. I like that. I'm hoping you know more about this than I do.

thank you

Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Metalmelter
              The plug on your machine has 1,2,3,4 which to me correspond to x,y,z,Neutral and a 5th wire should be there for ground in proper 3 phase configuration.
              http://www.metalmelter.com/
              Eric

There are only 4 wires with one being a ground.

I think maybe you know a lot more about this and my inexperience is disallowing any full understanding of what it is you're saying.

On the other hand, I've been to your website recently. Nice job on the Bridgeport but if you're really smart you'll never tell your wife she can have the garage back at any time.

Of course I say this being single for the last 26 years . Maybe you shouldn't listen to my marital advise, ya'think?

Dutch

Comment

I would go with J C H's way of hooking things up.
                I have never seen a 3 phase motor wired with a neutral wire , but if that cord is going to a cabinet then You will need a Neutral wire to provide 110v for lights or pumps etc.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X