Harbor Freights made in the USA Comperessors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freights made in the USA Comperessors

Since, Air compressors have come up more often lately on this forum. and I was thinking of getting an electric motor driven one to replace the gas driven portable I have.
    While at Horrible fright They have a 5 HP, 60 Gallon, 165 PSI Two Stage Air Compressor
    * Air delivery: 13.5 CFM @ 165 PSI, 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI, 16.4 CFM @ 40 PSI
    * Cast-iron cylinders and stainless steel valves
    * Automatic start/stop
    * ASME tank with safety valve
    * No mag starter required

230 volts, 22 amp, Single phase; Overall dimensions: 36" L x 24" Diameter x 69" H
    Shipping weight: 243 lbs.

No country of origin on it. On the label, there was a Mfg.code and a phone number for compressor support.
    I called it this morning. The parent company is called Atlas Copco and is a large multi national company. The compressor is made in Rock Hill South Carolina. So H F sells America made compressors
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93274

The compressors Item#93274 $849.99(4/23/09)

It looks like a number of other rebranded compressors at other venues for sales at higher prices.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

The compressor is made in Rock Hill South Carolina. So H F sells America made compressors
    Don't count on it. Under US Customs and Excise regulation by the Dept of Commerce all that is necessary to declare an imported product "Made in USA" is to perform some work on it that would change the duty class when imported. As an example, you can have your pipe flanges made in China and if you deburr them in the US they may be labeled Made in USA.

If the US compressor "manufacturer" imports motors, air receivers, valves, regulators, hoses, fittings, screws and bolts, decals and paint and then assembles them they may be labeled "Made in USA".
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Don't forget the towns the chineese created called USA and America and also the one called "rock hill south carolina"

Comment

If you want to make air compressors in the USA these days this is where you start:

http://www.aircompressorchina.org/acce.asp

Check out the company names in the keyword list at the bottom. Want to bet they make the compressors for all those companies?

Air compressor ,
        Air compressors ,
        Compressor ,
        Piston air compressors ,
        Rotorcomp ,
        Screw air compressors ,
        Gardnerdenver ,
        Vane air compressors ,
        Hydrovane ,
        Centrifugal air compressors ,
        Atlas copco ,
        Medium pressure compressor ,
        Compare ,
        Hitachi ,
        Kobelco ,
        High-pressure air compressors ,
        Ingersoll-Rand ,
        Compressor technology ,
        Quincy ,
        Scroll compressor ,
        Zscrew ,
        Air compressor lubricants accessories ,
        Filter ,
        Oil and gas separator ,
        Super-cold liquid,
        Sullair ,
        Air compressor oil ,
        Xinran ,
        Mattei ,
        Fusheng ,
        Kaeser ,
        Boge ,
        Task ,
        Ecoair ,
        Bauer ,
        Hanshin ,
        Air krone ,
        Ecopak ,
        Ihi ,
        Puma ,
        Mann ,
        Sotras ,
        Iwata ,
        Subang
        Last edited by Evan; 04-23-2009, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Well the tank is made in Virgina, the motor are A.O. Smiths and Baldor depending on the size of the compressor. The cast iron pump is made in Italy. And the pressure switch is a US company.
          Glen
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

When I was looking at compressors, I learned that one way manufacturers boost output is by "overdriving" the compressor. In other words, the cylinders wear out half again as fast when a compressor is driven too fast, cast iron or not. The compressor section should have an RPM rating as well as the motor. Slower is better. I seem to remember something like 650-750 RPM on the compressor is optimum, but don't take me for word on that. Anyway...

Nice if it is made in USA. I found the Campbell- Hausfeld to be a good match in my shop as well (7.5 HP, 80 gal, 2 stage, pressure lube, made in USA). A bit more than $850 though. Also know that every now and then, HF has a 20% off any one item coupon. Gotta search a little bit to find it, but it's there a lot of the time.

Comment

Far be it from me to try to talk you out of that compressor as it may well be quite well made.

I have posted here about the IR compressor I bought at a local Tractor Supply. I determined that I rarely need high pressure air and I don't know that I ever have needed air over 130 PSI. As such, a single stage compressor was plenty adequate. The IR I bought has a cast iron pump with what would appear to be a long stroke. Based on pulley dimensions, it is not run very fast either. Both of those issues in combination with the lower pressure should make for very long compressor life. Between a very capable compressor rated for 100% duty cycle and an 80 gallon tank (making for reduced cycling with most all air tools), this should out-last me. I paid $750 about 3 years ago. It too, is a true 5HP, runs on 220V single phase power and draws 22 amps (as opposed to the 5 "fake" HP compressors that will run on 110-120V power)

Paul
              Paul Carpenter
              Mapleton, IL

Comment

The current IR's may be made by the same company. I have to go back and check the tag on them to see if they are worded the same. And have the same compressor support phone number. As they make a lot of rebranded compressors that are sold by a lot of venues. the current batch at the local tractor supply looks like clones of each other that's what started me on this quest.
                Glen

Comment

Oops....I hope IR has not compromised their quality standards if they chose to farm the manufacture of their compressors out. I do tend to think that these more consumer oriented compressors were always something of an afterthought for them. The one I have appears to have the same compressor head used on one of their commercial units here at work. The tank, however, is made in Mexico, even at that.

What drew me to the unit I bought was that it offered just what I was after....a large air volume at a lower operating pressure for long life. The compressor itself was far more substantial looking than the typical consumer cast iron compressor head that you seem to see on all the "clone" compressors out there.

I was always disappointed, however, in the lack of on-line sales info on thier compressors. Mine is the SS5L5 and if you looked it up, several sites showed it as having a 60 gallon tank while mine was an 80...leading me to believe that perhaps IR built compressors in different configurations for sale at different stores.....which might explain why now they all look like clones.

Good luck, in any case with whatever you use. I have seen the compressor you posted, at a local HF store and it appears well built.

Paul
                  Paul Carpenter
                  Mapleton, IL

Comment

I am not trying to talk anybody out of anything either. I am pointing out that "Made in USA" doesn't always mean "Made in USA" any more. The so called "50 percent" rule is long gone.

Comment

I understand, but I am on a quest to find out about the clone looking compressors and why the tool or equipment made by the same company and rebranded is thought to be better when sold by a different company at a higher price.
                      Atlas Copco is a pretty big dog in everything from construction compressors to mining and oil drilling equipment.

http://www.atlascopco.com/usus/
                      Heading out to TS to check the IR's closer
                      Glen

Comment

Atlas Copco is a pretty big dog in everything from construction compressors to mining and oil drilling equipment.
                        Why don't you phone their sales department and ask a few blunt questions?

Comment

Good luck finding more info at your TS. It will really likely have to involve your own powers of observation and not any help from the sales folks.

I remember asking a question about one of the IR compressors and the sales person told me they would probably buy the "Farmhand" brand they also sold because it was also 5HP and cost less. I pointed out that the motor HP rating on compressors was usually exaggerated and noted that the motor drew a tiny fraction of what the *real* 5HP motor on the IR drew. That's not a difference in efficiency, but a difference in the manufacturer's willingness to lie. I also mentioned that actual air delivery ratings are the only useful numbers.

It made the point clear though that this sort of deciet is practiced by companies precisely because it works with so many folks. As my uncle always says: The masses are a$$es.

Paul
                          Paul Carpenter
                          Mapleton, IL

Comment

Well that's why I have asked only one important question at TS other than what isle is such in And that's were is the restroom located I took my small camera and photoed the name stickers and compressors. Now have to go back to HF and stop at Highes and Home Despot and figure out if anybody else some to compare!
                            Glen

Comment

Keep an eye out for either of these symbols either stamped or cast in the metal. They are symbolic of the lotus and mean Made in India regardless of what it may say elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X