Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help is at hand for Lucas owners

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Here I thought this was about a nearby supernova about to explode and light up the night sky for the next month. What a disappointment.

I've known about smoke replacement since I was a boy having had the unfortunate bad luck to have been introduced to British Vehicles by my father who took me on a shopping trip for an XKE in the early 60s. Naturally I wound up with the closest thing to that I could manage which was a clapped out Morris Minor 1000 with missing convertible hood. I eventually removed the doors, boot lid and bonnet, then the front and rear wings as well. This improved the acceleration to the point where it was possible to see forward progress without resorting to noting the position of the hour hand. It also had the side benefit of making parking much easier as I could simply drive straight in to a slot until I hit the pavement curb, then leap out and run to the rear and pick it up and set it in place. This was facilitated by the special light weight tyres I used which had none of the weighty black material on them but only a special durable fabric outer covering.

I did discover that the fabric covered tyres did have a minor disadvantage as one day whilst waiting for the light to change one of the tyres decided to retire from service without my consent. Instead of a gracefull hiss of it's last breath escaping it gave in with a loud bang and the front left fell to the ground as if a prop had been kicked out.

This would have presented a problem to most in such a situation but because of the earlier mentioned modifications to improve performance I merely commanded my friend to shift from the right seat to perch in rear right corner of the topless boot. That was sufficient to counteract the weight of the mighty 947cc engine that I could pick up without assistance and we continued our drive on the remaining three tyres paying special attention to avoid turning to the right.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

But did you keep it long enough to experience the dangling front paw Evan??

Regards Ian.
      You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Evan's car sounds a lot like the BMC "California"

Comment

I forgot to mention a very convenient aspect of the ignition system. The full extent of the fusing cosisted of two fuses in holders placed side by side. Next to those was a handy spare stuck on end in a hole. By taking the spare and popping it into place between the two working fuses it not only bridged both at once but served to turn on the ignition in the absence of a key. Then all it took to start the engine was to bridge the starter battery conection to the solenoid with a small metal object, frequently found lying under the car as a spare part. Failing that a coin or small screwdriver would do. This was handy when my father confiscated my keys.

Comment

Ah, Lucas electrics. I don't know what was in my english ford van, but I have had some similar experience with expired tyres. Lost a front about 40 miles out on a gravel road, with no spare. With passengers hanging out on the back door kiddie corner from the flat, we were able to keep the rim off the road and make it back to cilivisation. Of course, none of us had any money, so it was only to get rid of us that the gas station operator fixed the tyre for free.

Come to think of it, the eletrics must have been Lucas. Why else would the van body have taken up a permanent electric charge for a couple of weeks at one point- you could walk up to it and as you touched the lock with the key, ZAP!
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Thanks to Lucas I finally got insurance to cover something wrong with my 1965 Rover 2000. A short behind the dashboard started a fire which burned all the wiring behind the firewall. It took two weeks for this to be repaired, but at least I didn't have to pay for it like I did for everything else which failed on that car.

Has the spirit of Lucas been channeled into Bosch? How else to explain the poor reliability of Mercedes, Volvo, and other continental cars?
              Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Still on the subject of electrics, the Morris Minus had only a warning lamp instead of a fuel gauge. The lamp would illuminate just before the electric fool pump would begin to emit a long series of clickity-clickity-click-click-click... as it began to suck air from the fuel tank bottom. Fortunately, my MM was so light that I could easily push it at a respectable walking speed to the next petrol station.

Back to my father and his attempts to curtail my driving rather than studying. One day I went to take my auto for a little jaunt but when I cranked it it responded with a deafening silence. This was unusual as the one thing that engine did well was to start. After a bit of intense trouble shooting it dawned on me that the distributor cap was gone, wyres and all. I presumed this was the problem and sat for a bit to contemplate my options. Walking was out of the question as was riding my English bicycle.

An idea ocurred to me so I went about looking out the materials. A bit of dry plywood, a jig saw, a few nails and the core of some coax cable scraps that I had recently liberated from the open back of the local cable installers truck were collected and assembled to make this:

It worked perfectly and I proceeded to drive to Berkeley. On the way it proved it's worth by saving the Morris engine from certain destruction. The water pump bypass hose sprung a leak and was quietly pissing away all the water in the cooling system. Lacking any gauges to judge the temperature it would have siezed the engine had not the water sprayed on my newly constructed distributor cap and shorted it out, killing the engine.

Comment

Lucas, the Lord of Darkness.
                  "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

Phil, the prince of insufficient light
                    Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                      You may be thinking of the Austin America http://www.austinamericausa.com/
                      Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Know over here as the 1100 and 1300.
                        Compared to what else we had they were not bad cars. Reading the web page on the America it seems that a lot of problems stemmed from the auto transmission which has never really caught on here so the manual boxes were less sustible to problems.

From memory problems were sub frame mountings breaking, syncro's failing on 1st and 2nd gears and the hydrolastic suspension pipes corroding between front and back.

Again a lot of these finished up as donor cars for the mini's. In a one lump change you got a remote gearchange and a chance of picking one of the rarer GT twin carb models.

You still had to swap the diff as a unit because the 1300 was on larger wheels and the mini only on 10" wheels.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Lucas Headlight Switches have the following positions. Dim, Flicker and Maybe

The reason the Brits drink warm beer is they have Lucas refigerators.
                          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I got that wrong.

Originally Posted by oldtiffie
                            Originally posted by aostling
                            You may be thinking of the Austin America http://www.austinamericausa.com/
                            Thanks Allan and JohnS.

I know the Austin 1100 and 1300 due to the problems that some of my workmates who had them had with them!! Same applied to the earlier Austin A30, A40 etc.

But sadly, no that isn't the one I called the BMC "California" as I've obviously got that wrong.

The one I was referring to was basic to say the least. It was like a flat open-topped box with a rag top. It looked some-what "Jeep-ie". The body panels were all flat with some pressings for stiffness. The seats looked like they were made of electrical conduit with thin cloth (rag?) over them. The dash-board was basic to the extreme. It did have a rag top. It seemed to have a "Mini" engine in it.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Comment

Evan ..arent your electrics on your LR Lucas

I've got nothing bad to say about them i loved them ..

don't need a degree in electronics to fix them
                              just change the points before they wear out ..and no breakdowns.
                              suspect breakdowns with them is more to do with age of vehicle.
                              no fancy crap that has you puzzling for weeks .
                              no being to scared to take it for a diagnostic test at £50 a shot
                              no expensive ECU'S
                              no guy guessing what is wrong with your car ..replacing every electronic sensor until he gets it right.
                              if you breakdown ..you can fix it cheaply at the side of the road for buttons and get home ..
                              so no getting towed.
                              if you were vigilant and looked after them ..they looked after you.

that's my memories of them.

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                              X