OTx2 I can't take it any more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTx2 I can't take it any more.

OK, I'm no English major, however, what in the world is America coming to, are people just becoming so damn lazy, stupid or just to sorry to even use understandable English in some reasonably structured sentence.
    yeeeesh!

Look at this Craigslist listing:
    "i have some motor jobs and other auto work that i will trade a car for or i also have a house for sale or also a house for rent so if you can do the work we will work something out please email me or text me dont call me as im busy thats y i dont do the work myself 419-560-8881 the cars i have r 94 eclipse needs motor 93 talon needs work to flywheel 88 chevy van needs motor 99masda 626 needs brake work and clutch work 97 neon needs motor i also have a 98taurus,96 caravan,94firebird,96neon all ready to go but im looking for someone who has a garage and can get the car to them and maybve get a deal on [parts as i can do all of this just dont have time but im not going to ttrade a car for one job and if i got to buy the parts im going to need more work done also the porperty for sale is 308 e second st and the property for rent is 297 crystal spring st on that you can work off part of your rent still pay part rent and all utilities"

That is texting language. It arose from the wide usage of cell phones that have crappy keyboards. Characteristics: speeling is horrid. Punctuation is non-existent. Initial caps are not considered. It isn't about quality, it's about the message. Did the illiterate nob on the receiving end understand it? Probably yes because these people have a vocabulary of approximately 200 words of which 60% are expletives. Expletive is not in their vocabulary. They do not conjugate verbs, and any dangling participles are not mistake in the common sense as they don't know how not to dangle them. If it were not for tautologies they would have no use at all for adjectives. We've not discussed acronyms and abbreviations. Don't make me go there.

Comment

I can barely type with a few fingers (I have them all just don't use them for typing) But this is the sort of thing the current generation can write faster with one thumb on a cell phone than I can with both hands on a keyboard.
      --
      Tom C
      ... nice weather eh?

Comment

Sorry Ken,

I can't help you on that one. I didn't read it.
        Whenever I see crap like this I just skip over it.

Like others, I frequent several forums and see posts of similiar fashion. My opinion to this is the writer is just to damn lazy for even a small attempt to something legible.
        I've seen posts containing 40/60 lines of text all crammed together without any paragraph breaks.

I generally forgive the mis-spellings and improper punctuations to most what I read realizing it could have been written by a non-native or 2nd language pen.

But when it comes to crammed text, well, let someother jacka$$ read what another jacka$$ wrote.
        I'll just skip over it.

Comment

Gah. The presence of this on Craigslist is a bit strange. For text messaging (which I rarely use), writing grammatically correct sentences would probably be the equivalent of saying one word per five seconds.

Still, I think that somebody useing Craigslist should be able to write actual sentences- One is trying to sell something, not trash communications that do not need to be elegant.

I do not consider punctuation and capitalization to be essential to a trash communication, but I would at least try for better than that.

Comment

Patch,
            I didn't want to read it either, kinda like some one vomiting, you don't want to look but you will

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
              Patch,
              I didn't want to read it either, kinda like some one vomiting, you don't want to look but you will

Ken
              Not me.

Living proof is what it shows. The writers mother was mated to a dolt.

Comment

I was always a bit of a loner in high school. I still have the handful of friends I made then, but I spent most of my time in the garage trying out the things people on this board taught me. Since then, I've "branched out" and met a large variety of people while at college. I can honestly say that expierence has been sobering. In fact, I might even call it depressing. I hear students condescending blue-collar jobs and complaining about how stupid the American population has become. The irony is that they are less intelligent, less well read, less "sophisticated" than a lot of those "blue-collar" workers. They complain when they have to take classes that are not directly related to their majors, all the while voicing thier opinion that America is full of stupid people.

These students can't remember simple math or a general sort of history. They've not read any of the classics, prefering the movie or spark-note version. They've never heard of Verdi, Vivaldi, Corelli, Paganini, Liszt, etc. Rational and logical thought seems to be unheard of and science scorned. Instead, most of thier time is spent drinking, playing video games and watching TV.

That's not true of all the students, but it is a trend that I find very troubling. I used to have patience for this sort of thing, but now it just irritates me. I used to blame it on economic or other circumstances, but I no longer think that is the case. All I can say is: I have no time for people who are uninterested in learning and bettering themselves!

Rant off...

p.s. Ironically, I've made several spelling errors...
                p.p.s. And good grammar sells a product so much better! I'd never do buisness with someone who appears so lazy.

Comment

Moron parents, breed moron children. Quite rapidly. They are easily produced by unskilled labourers, who enjoy their work. They generally good at reproducing and knowing what all their entitlements on welfare are.
                  We have pretty much the same here in Aus. I personally think that, as a society, we are rapidly dumbing down. A lot of people don't want to think for themselves, its easier to let someone else do it and then blame all your misfortunes on someone or something else.
                  Too much cr** on TV.

I'd better stop, I'm starting to get wound up. LOL

bollie7

Comment

Dp's right,texting lingo and texting mentality. I've had alot of trouble with employee's,not just tech's but countermen as well,with the texting contstantly. This has translated into abbreviations and initials on paperwork that I have no clue what it means, and not bad punctuation,but none at all. I agree with Ken there,laziness and very annoying.

Comment

You can blame the poor sentence structure and spelling on the schools and all the abreviations on texting.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by bollie7
                        Moron parents, breed moron children. Quite rapidly. They are easily produced by unskilled labourers, who enjoy their work. They generally good at reproducing and knowing what all their entitlements on welfare are.
                        We have pretty much the same here in Aus. I personally think that, as a society, we are rapidly dumbing down. A lot of people don't want to think for themselves, its easier to let someone else do it and then blame all your misfortunes on someone or something else.
                        Too much cr** on TV.

I'd better stop, I'm starting to get wound up. LOL

bollie7
                        Bollie hit the nail on the head. The whole world is fast becomming
                        a "Third World" environment. The few that can think become the
                        dictators and the rest, well you put a name on them. :-(
                        ...lew...

Comment

I was always told that your writing is a reflection of your personality.

What I see when I find those "text messaging" posts, is an idiot.

It doesn't matter what they're trying to sell or what they're saying, I tend to dismiss the whole thing.

I recall on another forum, some clown posted a horribly misspelled, badly punctuated, rambling "text" lingo rant. I replied, telling him to use the damned spell checker, and learn to speak (and write) English. These people don't realize how much of an idiot their "texting" makes them look.

It's probably from a past of, "Do something, even if its wrong."
                          No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Oh I think I'd give the guy a break.

My wife's a teacher and she says there are '15 kinds of intelligence'. Readin, Ritin and Rithmatic are probably not this guys forte. He seems to be doing OK has a house etc and doing deals on the cars. The guys not as stupid as his writing indicates.

To see if you are truly superior renaissance man, sit down and write a song, draw a picture or play sports at a high level (bowling doesn't count), become a marriage counselor. I know I can't do any of those things.

He's trying to progress in his life and that's all that really counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                              i will trade a car for or i also have a house for sale or also a house for rent so if you can do the work we will work something out... im not going to ttrade a car for one job and if i got to buy the parts im going to need more work done... you can work off part of your rent still pay part rent and all utilities"[/B]
                              Thank you for posting that. I find it quite funny.

I think he is trying to lure a meth addict into renting his crappy house and working on his crap cars so he can sell them to other meth heads and then stiff his victim. Would anyone other than a meth head respond to this ad? This guy knows who his target audience is.

Now, if I can clear out these lye and bleach bottles I might find my phone and give him a call!
                              -Roland
                              Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Working...
                              X