No announcement yet.

Checking the Monarch internals

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Checking the Monarch internals

    Hi All,
    Well since I got the lathe up and running, I thought I better get inside to see what made it tick, before I got all carried away making chips and forgot. So I pulled the cover off the gear box, found a couple of loose bolts on shifter forks, decided to take the oil pump out and check the lines and the pump. Here are a couple of pictures to show you what I'm doing. By the way, I want to thank Harry for the help he has been providing through emails.

    Here is a shot with the cover off. You can see the pump in the upper left hand corner.

    Here is a closer look at the pump and supply manifold. The lines to the bearings are off in this shot. Harry said there was room to get it out and he was right.

    Here is a shot of the pump itself. It seems to work ok, so I will just take it apart to clean it and the screens up.

    More to come later as I go along. Jay
    "Just build it and be done"

  • #2
    Nice looking headstock...Those Monarch's are well made with their hardened helical gears..
    Precision takes time.


    • #3
      Checking 'er gear out


      when I read the thread title I thought you'd been made the Royal Gynecologist for "Her Maj" - or her various "rellies" - to check her/their "internal gear etc" out.

      You really get on with life don't you? - no sign of you "dropping your bundle" at all.

      I am MOST impressed.


      • #4
        Well your "Royal Gynecologist" I see you waited until I left your place yesterday and then went and had all the fun tearing into the Monarch. Looks good. I'll see you Saturday for our trip to Hillsboro.

        I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
        Oregon Coast


        • #5
          Makes you feel like a magician, getting that pump out, doesn't it?
          Don't forget to check the meter units.


          • #6
            Jay, you got me wanting to check why the RPM selector was not indexing precisely so off come the top cover and what do I find?
            Not one of the 4 index holes are the same, nothing I can do about that with out tearing it down, now that's not good but at least I didn't find any of those stupid helical cut gears in my lathe



            • #7
              While you are taking it apart, pull the top of the carriage off and replace the metering valves on the bottom side and flush the lines. Monarch has the valves for about $60 and make sure that you order the oil seal between the front and top of the carriage. Also, remember to change the metering valve that lubes the half nuts (it is in the "dish" in the top of the apron).


              • #8
                Removing the carriage on a C series Monarch is not an easy task. The apron has to come off first, then the carriage. This is major work and lifting equipment should be used. To get an idea of what's involved, the C series and the 60 Series are almost identical in this regard, read this thread on PM;


                • #9
                  Thanks All,

                  Ringer, Yes they are nice. As I am sure most of you are aware of the more contact area and quieter running of characteristics of these gears. This gear box reminds me of a big Spicer truck transmission. Except There is so much more thought that has gone into its construction.

                  oldtiffie, No I am still at home playing, between the shop and my list of finish up chores for my wonderful wife. I might be low on energy but not ambition.

                  lugnut, I just couldn't wait any longer. I needed to do this before going off half cocked and forgetting. It's not over yet, I think there are some parts you can build if you want.

                  Harry, When I first started looking at the pump, I thought no way. After I got the supply line off, which was probably the hardest part, and figured out which gear to shift it into for more room, swore just a little and balanced on my left tip toes while my right foot was waist high to keep me in balance, It came right out. It actually went back together rather easily, which shocked me. On the oil lines, they were a little clogged but I think they would have passed oil. I blew the out and soaked them in cleaner and blew them out again. The manifold and meter units were pretty clean as well. I had soaked them and then blew them out after taking them out of the manifold. I decided I would not know how much air was going through them or how clean they were actually, so I put a couple of drops of food coloring in them and blew and I could see the pattern on a piece of cardboard that was behind them. So I put it all back together.

                  Ken, I hope I didn't create to much work for you. Yes those helicals, just think how much extra work and thinking they wasted on them anyway. Ha Ha.

                  MickeyD, I have been watching the oil delivery very closely on the carriage and cross slide. I have read Harry's post quite a few times soaking up the great info there and have come to the conclusion that I will wait on this for now. I have overhead jib cranes in the making for chuck removal and stock setting, but it is oiling quite well and it can wait. I have parts I need to make with this toy first. Once it is up and running, I have to start building parts for my lineshaft installation.

                  Thanks for all the replies and help, it is a fun project and fun to share with you all also.

                  "Just build it and be done"


                  • #10
                    The balancing act sounds about right.