What Steel cable should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Steel cable should I use?

I finally got a manual for my Enco surface grinder. The table traverse is driven by a steel cable that is wrapped @7 times over a 1.5" (38mm) capstan . I have none of the original cable. The Chinglish manual says the replacement is a 3x19x3x6m cable. I am trying to figure out a suitable alternative. I presume that the 3x19 indicates the cable form and the 6m indicates 6 meters (although 6 meters seems excessively long). I have no idea what the 3 indicates. The capstan grooves look like they will take a max of 5/32" (4mm) diameter cable. So it looks like I will need a very flexible cable. The table weighs over 150 lbs, so I am going to need some strength although it floats on 47 five eighths balls.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what cable I should use and where I might get it??

TIA
    Randy
    Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Go to a chandlers
    ..and have a look what stainless steel cable they have there .

That's what my friend Alwyn put on his makino tool and cutter grinder a few years ago ..still going strong no failure .

that's, if you live near the coast.........Which you don't .?

edit..... you do ..just looked it up .

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 05-01-2009, 07:38 PM.

Comment

The McMaster-Carr catalog www.mcmaster.com has quite a good writeup on the various types of steel cable.
      See for example www.mcmaster.com/#about-wire-rope/=1oua6p
      Last edited by SGW; 05-01-2009, 08:03 PM.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CG...PMPXNO=2030235

Comment

I re-did the cables on a couple Kent 6x18 grinders.They both used 3/32" braided stainless which actually measured .135" OD.

Got it from McMaster.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I second (and third) Marks suggestion on Stainless and Wierds on braided Stainless. Similar wrap around system on a hand adjusted double headed mitre cutting saw used in plastic window making industry.

Regards Ian.
            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the responses Guys.

I like the idea of the stainless braided cable, but I can't find any on the McMaster site. In fact a Google search for braided Stainless steel cable turns up motorcycle cable and jewelry. I an not sure what this braided cable looks like. Is there possibly an other term I should search under?

I presume I should be looking for uncoated cable?

Thanks Again

Randy
              Last edited by randyjaco; 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM.
              Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Check out your local Ace / True Value hardware store. They should have something to fill the bill, sold by the foot. Isn't garage door cable about that size?

Comment

Try West Marine for stainless wire. Used in sailboat rigging, life lines etc.

Good luck,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by randyjaco
                    Thanks for the responses Guys.

I presume I should be looking for uncoated cable?

Randy
                    You need Coated cable
                    Gene

Comment

IME 1.5" dia is a bit small for ordinary rigging type wire, suggest you look at wire fishing leader, super flexible compared to rigging wire......... also in nylon covered.

Comment

Thanks Rick,

Being and old sailor any excuse to venture into West Marine is always appreciated. I found some very flexible cable that ought to work fine. Of course West Marine liked it a lot too. (a buck seventy nine a foot). It does fit the capstan well and now I am off to the next opportunity, the magnetic chuck. I started a new thread for that.

Many thanks to everyone for their input.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                        X