Yipee! I Get to Work in a Foundry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tucker;
    This old world needs more people like you, keep up the good work and don't worry about what the other guy thinks...Wish I had my time back so I could have done the job I wanted to do instead of worrying about what my peers thought. I'm not complaining, I have had a good life and earned a good living, not rich, just a good living.
    Take care buddy...
    Regards
    Jim

[This message has been edited by shaque (edited 08-16-2003).]
    Jim

Comment

Brent
      You have reenforced my unfaltering respect for you. You are my kind of hoser, eh!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 08-16-2003).]

Comment

Tucker,
        BZ,on your new job, do your best I ran into the same thing as bspooh did, just keep charging but make it known loud and clear that your goal is a machining job,
        My brother ended up with carpol tunnel syndrome from grinding castings for years
        they kept promising a step up but in the end it was one excuse after another. The
        same foundry advertised no lay offs in twenty-five years but forgot to mention this was accomplished by reducing hours to
        24 hours a week. good luck
        same foundry
        Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Tucker, grow eyes in the back of your head! Especialy when a melt or pour is in progress. Will you be working in the foundry itself or in the cleaning room? Aside from the enviromental hazards the cleaning room is RELATIVLEY safe. If you're around a pour make absolutly certain of whats going to happen and what your job is. Pours are expensive and dangerous. I've heard stories that have kept me up at night. As a patternmaker I don't mind being around them, but you couldn't pay me enough to work in a foundry. As a stepping stone it wouldn't be bad, but make sure you move up and out. Pattern work may be an option if your interested (and there's anyone left to do it ) If you need help figuring out the molding, gating, paterns or cores drop me a line and I'll do my best to help (although be warned that every foundry does things a little differently) If I've got time I'll check back here, but e-mail is best for me now.

Good luck and grow those extra eyes

-Dave

One more thing: I don't want to step on any toes but from my own observation other than the foreman, lead, and a few top guys the people that work in the foundry for any leangth of time without moving up in the operation are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Keep that in mind when they're breaking you in and when your safety depends on them.

[This message has been edited by Dave Opincarne (edited 08-17-2003).]

Comment

I worked in a iron foundry in NC for 2 years and the only reason people quit was to get hired back for more money a month later. Thats what happens in a small town with few opportunities. If you let them know right away that you are interested in working in the pattern shop it might help you out later on. In my experiance however you have to inherite those jobs. I don't know what they are starting you with but most of our new people started out as sand shovelers. If so don't get discouraged, I never saw that job last more than a couple of months. Bring extra cloths and shower and change before you get in your car or else you will reqret it. You should wash your work clothes at the laundry mat not at home, your wife will thank you for it. Good luck and I hope you find something there enjoyable, I liked the people and the job but hated the enviroment.

Charles

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys. My buddy seems to like the place, and he says that the boss there is the best he's ever had. The owner's an animal lover and has cats, dogs, and even a bird (it can't fly because of a bad wing, lives in his desk drawer) in the offices, so that seems to be a good sign to me.

Even as hot and nasty as the job is, at least it comes with benefits, which none of the temp jobs I've had in the past year have had. And it least it offers me a metal working job to put on a resume, which none of the jobs I've been able to get up until now have had.

------------------

Comment

How is the job going? Hust thought i would ask.
                Does anyone actually read siglines?

Comment

Not too bad, actually. The heat isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, and they seem to be pretty impressed with my work.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                  X