Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help identifying this drill press

Hello,
    I bought this small drillpress a few months ago. I've been searching for info on it, but I haven't found any info.
    I believe it is what would be called a "Precision drillpress". The spindle speed chart says that it is capable of 5000 rpm!!!
    The low end is 300rpm. It has a safety feature that requires you to put the chuck key into a hole on the side of the head, to
    allow the unit to turn on. The motor is missing, there isn't any tag or markings of any kind except the directions for starting it,
    and the spindle speed chart. It also has a impossibly small vee-belt pully. The width of the vee is approximately .2095". I'd love to know
    the brand or maker of this drill press. Here are some pictures.

Thanks!
    Richard

Hello,
    Here is some more info I found on the castings!

I'm assuming that a belt guard is missing, as I doubt anybody would of made a drill press in the modern era (1945-now) with out one. There is a couple of mounting holes on top. There is a casting number inside of the head casting, DP 1726. Also on the bottom side of the table is SHOPCO 15 and DP 15. I'm thinking it might be a early Wilton. I've got a 1972 USA made Wilton. I got it new out of the box in 1999. It is a nice drillpress, Not great, but nice.

Thanks!
    Richard
    Last edited by meco3hp; 05-04-2009, 10:36 PM.

Comment

It almost looks like a kit of some kind. It is kinda cool looking. Neat!

--Doozer
      DZER

Comment

I have to vote that it it is a kit built press.
        Bill in SE Idaho
        With enough time & motivation anything can be fixed

Comment

Looking at the spindle drive pulley and the stated belt size makes me think that it may be a Craftsman drill press from around the late 1970's to early 1980's. I have a Craftsman floor model that has a similar size belt. The identifying information is on the belt guard on mine, which does not have that key interlock switch, but I seem to remember hearing that Craftsman had a product with such a feature. The color of the table in the picture looks about right aslo.

Ken

Comment

Working...
          X