Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAD program for moving linkages? Anyone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheeseking
    replied
    Before we had Inventor and Solidworks we used this software....http://workingmodel.design-simulation.com/WM2D/demo.php
    Looks like you can get a demo copy.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Farr
    replied
    Originally posted by Richard86
    *** My problem has been that the time it takes to find a CAD program and then try to learn it, I could have whatever built several times over. ***
    Rich
    If you want to skip CAD for a bit longer, "Link Mechanisms" is a little 35-page booklet that I find very helpful. I paid $6 for it at NAMES. It was originally published in 1908, and republished in 2000 by Nation Builder Books, P.O. Box 253, Leesburg VA, 20178, telephone (800) 480-5808, web site at www.NBBooks.com

Leave a comment:

• dfw5914
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheeseking
    Could you print off some scaled 2d prints of the linkages on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, cut out with scissors and straight pins or toothpicks for the pivots???? If the paper is too flimsy then transfer to cardboard or something.
    Cardboard
    Aided
    Design

Leave a comment:

• George Barnes
    replied
    Not on the subject of software, but relating to the need to make something fold over 180°, take a look at the linkage on the bucket of a backhoe. It looks like they get that or maybe a little more by just adding another link between the hydraulic cylinder and the bucket attachment. I don't fully understand what the critical geometry is on this mechanism.

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• camdigger
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheeseking
    Could you print off some scaled 2d prints of the linkages on 8-1/2 x 11 paper, cut out with scissors and straight pins or toothpicks for the pivots???? If the paper is too flimsy then transfer to cardboard or something.
    They make label paper for address labels. You could print, peel, and stick your patterns...

Leave a comment:

• Cheeseking
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I view solidworks as being just as important as having a lathe or a milling machine. It is the 3rd tool.
    Yeh, what Mochinist said.

Leave a comment:

• Richard86
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I knew I could count on you!! I haven't
    had time to check them out yet. I have been working on an implement

toolbar for a skidloader with one wing that has to fold over 180 degrees.
    Today I've been chopping up particle board into linkage patterns. I just

finished design tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can get it converted to iron. My problem has been that the time it takes to find a CAD program and then try to learn it, I could have whatever built several times over.

I just need to quit procrastinating and do it, I'm sure in the long run it will save me a bunch on time and particle board . I have to be done by Monday so, not much time to learn.

I will try to post pics next week if anyone is interested. Thats another skill I've yet to try.

Thanks again for the help fellas.

Rich

Leave a comment:

• mochinist
    replied
    Originally posted by japcas
    It seems like a lot of people recommend Solid Works for cad and modeling work. It may be a good program but a bit pricey for the average home shop guy don't ya think?
    He's not recommending you buy it.

Find the chubby neighborhood teen and he will be able to help you out

also they are letting you have a trial version to learn with

copy/paste from practical machinist site

In a nutshell, you can download a free version of Solidworks that is valid for 90 days. You can learn the software and get certified for free as well. It's a big file so you'll need a highspeed connection. Quote from the link:

"The SolidWorks Engineering Stimulus Package provides free SolidWorks 3D CAD software to any U.S. or Canadian resident seeking to develop, upgrade, or refresh the valuable 3D CAD skills that employers need. In addition to the software, you get self-support, free training materials, free certification, and job leads."

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/enginee...s_package.html

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I refuse to spend that amount of money for software. I have spent thousands over the years but I cannot justify that sort of single expenditure for a hobby.

Leave a comment:

• japcas
    replied
    Originally posted by BillH
    Solid Works is what you want for simulating mechanical linkages.
    It seems like a lot of people recommend Solid Works for cad and modeling work. It may be a good program but a bit pricey for the average home shop guy don't ya think?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Solid Works is what you want for simulating mechanical linkages.

Leave a comment:

• Silverwolf
    replied
    I just tried Evan's freecad thing. Its awesome. I have the latest 3d modeling software from Mya,and Z brush, worth several thousand dollars. I got them from my son in law who got them from the Universtity he was at. THe freecad is like Mya for kindergarden kids. Its great. Mya is extremely complicated, took several years to master. I mastered freecad in about 5 minutes, so I figure a complete rooky with this stuff could be designing stuff in about 2 hours with freecad. Good post Evan, I love these programs, now I can get my Son started on some easy stuff first. Thanks again Evan.

Leave a comment:

• 10KPete
    replied
    I've been looking for the same thing but anything that really works seems to cost more than makes sense on a fixed income.

In addition to wanting to make the parts move I want to be able to input forces and have the program give me resulting forces.

Will the Alibre calculate forces in the links?

Thanks,
    Pete

Edit: I just went to the Alibre web page and see that the program starts at a kilobuck!!! Too much for me.
    Last edited by 10KPete; 05-05-2009, 11:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave S.
    replied
    Take a look at Alibre 3D modeling software. You can get a full working copy free.
    You can build your parts and then assemble them. By moving one part others will move accordingly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X