Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The promised S.B. pics

Hi All,
    Well my friend delivered the lathe right on time Sunday. We unloaded it with the help of a neighbor with a tractor and my buddy Lugnut. I tore it down on monday and got the rust cleaned off and put it back together today. I will run it for a while before doing anything else. I am going to order a new synthetic belt for it and I need to run some wire from my RPC to it. I have three chucks that should work pretty good on it. 1- is a 9" 4 jaw, 2 - is a 6" three jaw, 3 - is a 7" soft jaw type with no jaws at the moment. I will need to turn some mounting plates for them. Here are some pics of it in my shop.

These were taken after the cleanup. As you can see I did not bother painting it as it ought to go fast enough for me without it. I will do a survey on it after I see how it cuts for a while.

Cheers, Jay
    "Just build it and be done"

Looks like a spotted critter to me You had to move a bunch of stuff to get that SB to set where it's at. I suppose when I come up to your place next, that you will have turned something on it. Hell I can't wait till Saturday for your birthday party, I'm coming up Thursday.
    Mel
    Last edited by lugnut; 05-06-2009, 01:07 AM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

Congratulations!

Is there is still a motor in there that works and everything?
      --
      Tom C
      ... nice weather eh?

Comment

Mel,
        I need to build one more part for the Monarch and then I'll get the S.B. going. I am ordering or building a belt today. There should be over 100 people at the B day party. We got a good turn out since it is probably my last one.

Tom,
        Yes the motor and all the wiring look real good. I have been drying them out, so hopefully they will work.

Jay

Comment

Re: Southbend

Congrats Jay, that is a fine looking old SB (camo paint job aside ). THe fellow I used to work for got an old cone head SB about the same size. His didn't have the quick change gearbox on it but he managed to get one on the university's surplus auction because nobody knew what it was. We spent an evening converting his lead screw to accept the gear box and it made the lathe a lot more pleasant to use. After he passed, his son in law got the lathe and uses it to rebuild parts for his automatic trans. business. That was always a nice lathe to run. You will enjoy your I am sure.
          Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Jim,

Yes I think this old S.B. will make a great second lathe. I will probably sell my 1927-9"X36" Junior.
            Well I ran conduit and wire today from my RPC and got it hooked up. The motor took off great in both forward and reverse. So now I am waiting on a belt and then I will make some chips. The belt should be in Tuesday or Wednesday, then I need to built four back plates for my chucks. I found another 3 jaw I had stashed away and might as well set it up for this lathe.

Jay

Comment

My dad has a 13" war lathe about like that one. Because of the single tumbler gear box, that may be one too. Some of the war production board machines did not use the regular bronze shell bearings, they just ran the hardened spindle straight in the iron headstock. Make sure that you check the oiler felts and that it is not set too tight, if I remember right, his likes to run a little looser than my old 10L with the bronze plain bearings. He has enjoyed his for the last 30 years, a simple and robust machine.

Comment

Some of the war production board machines did not use the regular bronze shell bearings, they just ran the hardened spindle straight in the iron headstock.
                All of the SB 9" lathes have the spindle running in cast iron. Available as an extra cost option was to have the spindle "hardened and superfinished". That permitted the use of the two step primary drive pulley giving a total of 12 speeds to a maximum of about 1250 rpm. With the standard unhardened spindle the maximum is 625 or so. As long as it is kept oiled the spindle will never wear out as it is a non-contact system that rides on a film of oil. The same principle is used in jet turbine bearings.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

MickeyD and Evan,

I have not run the serial number on this lathe yet to get any information as to the production date. It has quite robust bronze spindle bearings which I was very happy to see. When I tore it down for cleaning and inspection, I found both the spindle and the bearings to be in very good shape. I put the original shim packs back in as I want to run it a bit before doing a survey of the actual conditions. Then I will either tear it back down for further work or set it up as is depending on what is found.
                  Thanks for the input, I am very excited about this new addition to my humble shop.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by tiptop
                    Mel,
                    There should be over 100 people at the B day party.

Jay
                    Jay, not a bad looking SB.
                    I guess My invite must have been lost in the mail .
                    I just saw this post tonight or I would have crashed the party .

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X