Generator MOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator MOD

ok well i like htis geeny bought it used for 20 bucks and its only a year old.. and works perfect, anyhow it is very quiet as it is and iam using it to power my shop lights and a few other things all same time.so any how, i made this little rig from some hollow aluim and stainless steel caps fornt and back and made the hole at 9/64, now its even quieter and works really slick i should be able to work in the shop at night now and not distrube my neibours you can hardely hear it at all now..
    the main reason i got the genny was to lighen the load on my hydro bill i can run for 12 hours on a tank of gas which is not bad for a 2 stroke motor..and iam never out there that long at a time anymore so it should pay for it self pretty fast id think.. I should metion as well that the orgianl hole out of the exaust pip was 12 Mm so its is a substantional reduction ..

That's a nice little generator. I have one just like it. They are well made. It's not a good idea to restrict the exhaust that much on a 2 stroke, it will cause overheating and can cause the engine to sieze from lack of lubrication because the oil is carried in with the fuel. Not enough fuel means not enough oil.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

...so it should pay for it self pretty fast id think..
      Might be worth your while looking at this again - 12 hours on a tank of gas sounds good until you do the sums. Here in the UK, power from a 'home generator' will cost somwhere from 5 to 15 times as much as power from the grid.

Although I know gas in Canada is much cheaper (about half what we pay I think), I don't know what you pay for 'hydro', but that's a big gap to make up...

Worth checking out before you spend good tool money on wasted gas

Cheers

Comment

What Evan said.

I'd also be VERY surprised if you can produce electricity at a lower cost than the 7.5-8 cents a kWh that Ontario Hydro charges.

Look at the over all cost of running and maintaining a generator for a year vs the power that you can produce, and compare that to your cost of 7.5-8 pennys for every 1000 watts of power per hour.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Hi Airsmith,
          I have to agree with Barringtons post about the price of grid power vs. home generator power. I use a Honda 2000I inverter generator when I winter in Arizona as I don't have grid power. Last winter I did some calculating the cost and I would get about 5-6 Kwh of power out of a gallon of gas. I used a Kill-a-watt meter to measure the power leaving the generator and into my battery bank. Also keep in mind that these inverter generators are much more effecient because they don't run wide open all the time. Here in Michigan we pay around 12.5 cents /Kwh for power including all the taxes and fees. Gas would have to cost around 75 cents a gallon to break even with power company prices. I also have to agree with Evan about restricting the exaust that much. You might want to use a car muffler or something like it to cut the restriction on the exaust. Hope this info helps.
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

No disrespect, but I think you sold yourself a "bill of goods." I drove through North Bay two weeks ago and you were paying nearly $.90/liter for gasoline. Add twostroke oil and it is over $1.00/litre. You must be drinking nearly a litre an hour under load, (or more.) My shop is fairly well lit, with a dozen two-lite fluorescent units. They are magnetic ballasts, so a good rule of thumb is 100 watts/unit. that means I burn 1.2 Kwh for lights. If you are on a rural rate at $0.15/kwh., that is only $0.18/hour. Unless you are a REALLY efficient multi-tasker, you only average one machine at a time. If it is 2.5 kw. then it operates for $0.375/hr, and that totals only $0.55/hour. What am I missing in this equation? Duffy
            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Versatile

Well looks like it will fit on a end of a .22 rifle barrel for in town supressed varmint control.

Comment

well iam not runnning all the shop tools wiht it it runs 3 regual bulbs and 2 florcent lights aslo runs my small compressoer as needed which is not to often and it runs m geto blaster and charges my drill batterys and runs my cordless phone so it is running eficent enough for al that and saves my hydro bill a bit,, being thats its summer time now no need to run the lights all the time, it also runs my buffer machine as well when needed,, at 1000 watts 800 running watts and the run time per tank iam getting it is auctully saving me hydro money form the house as right now we are getting rapped for our hydro,, my lath and mill run off the house hydro and this genny will run al lmy lights and stuff and still run the mill if need be .. the restrixtion of the exaust is not an issue with the device i made it does not creat more pressire nor does is restrict the air flow the muffler still does the job its supposed to ,, this thing just makes the sucker run a hell of alot quieter,, 2 stroke or 4 stroke wont make a difference in the lubracation the motor is getting.. its get al the same lube as it did before i installed the extention to the muffler ..

yes gas is abotu 90 cents a liter rightnow this thing is 1.1 gallon so not to bad and so far i have been using its for 3 days now and this is day one witht he extension on it and i have oly used up 1/4 tank of fule, right now my 2 stroke oil is free as i gots a few bottles with a weed wacker i picked up and even to pay for it its still going to be cheaper on my house bill over all and its good on the fule as well.. we wil see after a month or 2 what my total cost a month is going to be for fule and oil but so far after 3 days id say she is doing rather well ..

Comment

the restrixtion of the exaust is not an issue with the device i made it does not creat more pressire nor does is restrict the air flow the muffler still does the job its supposed to ,, this thing just makes the sucker run a hell of alot quieter,, 2 stroke or 4 stroke wont make a difference in the lubracation the motor is getting.. its get al the same lube as it did before i installed the extention to the muffler ..
                  Restricting the exhaust restricts the amount of fuel it is able to pull in since it DOES increase the back pressure. Try breathing through a soda straw which is about the same size.

Restricting the amount of fuel restricts the amount of oil and WILL cause damage even if it doesn't sieze the engine.

It makes a big difference if it is a 2 stroke cycle as opposed to a 4 stroke cycle since a 4 stroke has an independent supply of oil that is pumped and splashed on the moving parts. The only way a two stroke engine of that type gets any oil is via the fuel.

It would be a shame to ruin your genset because of something so simple to change. It's a nice little generator and worth much more than $20 if it is running well. They sell new for around $150.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Only trying to save you cash - have just looked up the specs on your gen:

continuous output 800W (0.8kW)
                    tank 1.1 US gals = 4.2 litre
                    running time 7 hours at 50% output (i.e. 0.4kW)

(If you're getting 12 hours per tank that must mean you're using about 200W+)

So a tankful (4.2 litres) produces 7 x 0.5 x 0.8 = 2.8 kWh

So each kWh of electricity generated uses 4.2/2.8 = 1.5 litres of gas @ $0.90 = $1.35 (+ oil)

Each kWh from the Hydro costs how many cents ?

So at 200W you probably spending an extra $0.20 or more per hour over and above the cost of hydro...

Cheers
                    Last edited by Barrington; 05-14-2009, 01:36 PM.

Comment

well elt me put it to you this way my hydro bill with same items running all the time is costingme an extrra 100. to 150. a month on my bill ,, take that out of the equation and use the genny for same items and not having ot use them al the time cost me how much about 15.00 bucks a to 20 bucks a month, plus oils thats about 40 bucks a month so yup iam saving money using the genny the way iam ..

let also keep in mind here specs mean absoulte BS .. this thing ran all the said items plus i fired up my polisher that sucks more amps then this this saiys it prduces thats with all other items running same time to by the way,, so , id say this thing is well under rated and out performs it self, one guy even ran a 1500 watt heater wiht no problems on the thing so thats pretty decent id say and proves its under rated for what the specs say..
                      Last edited by airsmith282; 05-13-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Still have to agree the cost of running that should well exceed the cost of just using the electric...... if not, then you are probably not charging all teh costs against it that are really there, or have over-estimated the cost via normal electric.

Also, 2 stroke engines are usually short-life engines.... not intended for long hour usage. Some are good for as little as 600 hours. or less.

And for sure, that little exhaust hole is likely not gonna work out long term.... Evan's point is good.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Well all I can say is congratulations!
                          You've got yourself one helluva little generator.
                          Not only can it produce power cheaper than the utility companies, but you've also made fools of an awful lot of mechanical and electrical engineers.
                          My only regret is that I don't have a dozen or so of those little gems humming away in a little shed out back. As you say the little suckers are quiet enough, what with the 9/64's exhaust and all. Maybe that is why they are so fuel efficient...you can't burn much if it can't get out, and all the while putting out twice the rated wattage.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

If that tiny little hole is all there is for the exhaust to escape then there definitly IS a lot of restriction, a LOT of restriction! Two stroke engines are very finicky about the exhaust design and restricting it will have adverse effects even if they are not apparent right now, and yes it will affect lubrication (among other things) for the reasons already stated. That exhaust set-up may seem like a good idea right now due to the noise reduction but in a short time it will get even quieter, in fact it is going to get VERY quiet indeed!

Also there is no way, no POSSIBLE way, that thing can produce power cheaper than the grid and you are kidding yourself if you think so!

Comment

Originally posted by airsmith282
                              let also keep in mind here specs mean absoulte BS .. this thing ran all the said items plus i fired up my polisher that sucks more amps then this this saiys it prduces thats with all other items running same time to by the way,, so , id say this thing is well under rated and out performs it self, one guy even ran a 1500 watt heater wiht no problems on the thing so thats pretty decent id say and proves its under rated for what the specs say..
                              One thing I'd check next time you run the polisher on the genny. Check the Hz and voltage on the line coming from the genny. When you overload these gas powered genny's, they continue to make power but they slow the engine down while doing it, which slows the line frequency down and voltage as well. Running your polisher at a line frequency a lot lower than 60 can also diminish the life of your polisher motor.
                              Jonathan P.

Comment

Working...
                              X