OT/Trouble with Hubble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT/Trouble with Hubble

As I was watching coverage of this morning's spacewalk to continue servicing the Hubble, the astronauts ran into a bit of trouble.

A handrail had to be removed in order to mount a plate to do more work.

Of the 4 screws securing the rail, the top 2 were easily removed , as well as one of the bottom screws.

The last screw however was not co-operative. These are socket heads, and the fourth had a stripped out head. Over 2 hours of work yielded no results to speak of.

Alternatives were discussed, and options were weighed.

Then, in true back-yarder fashion, the decision was made to just break the damn thing off!

This is from NASA, who put men on the moon, and then sent 4 wheel drive cars there to cruise around in. They just broke the damn thing off!

I'd feel right at home there!
    Alex

That's because they didn't bring the vise grips.

Cheers,

BW
    ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Originally posted by Maker

A handrail had to be removed in order to mount a plate to do more work.... Then, in true back-yard fashion, the decision was made to just break the damn thing off! ...
      Whoops! Now OSHA will get involved!

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 05-17-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobWarfield
        That's because they didn't bring the vise grips.

Cheers,

BW
        While brainstorming a solution, Houston had the astronauts move to a toolbox for more equipment.

One tool ground control suggested using were visegrips!
        Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick

Is there a falling hazard in a 'weightless' environment?

Comment

Sounds like somebody put locktite on instead of anti-sieze
            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by rancherbill
              Originally posted by Mike Burdick
              Is there a falling hazard in a 'weightless' environment?
              Yea, I wouldnt want to fall back to earth, how bout you? Ouch!

rock~
              Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I would have hammered it off...but I am not sure if hammers work in space
                Do they?
                "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

They don't have hammers, they use Manually Operated Inertial Impact Generators. That's why they cost $1400.00 each. During the design phase an engineer suggested they make the MOIIG from Magnesium or Titanium to save weight until a machinist pointed out that inertial impacts are generating by moving masses....

Yes, hammers work in a zero gee environment. The Laws of motion don't change one bit.

The shuttle also carries a set of Crescent Wrenches. Those are made from titanium.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Wouldn't you just love to have your very own set of Titanium crescent wrenches and vice grips.

Comment

There is a set scattered somewhere over the central USA. They survive reentry just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by quadrod
                        Wouldn't you just love to have your very own set of Titanium crescent wrenches and vice grips.
                        Here you go ...

http://www.newmaticsound.com/index.p...7i32i050jqp717

-SD:

Comment

Evan-

Are you referring to the recent famously lost toolbag, or Columbia? I forget where the toolbag was thought to have landed (or rather the debris field from it)

Comment

I was referring to Columbia.

Comment

i wonder what the fine is for having one of those titanium wrenches from Columbia?

andy b.
                              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Working...
                              X