Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gunsmith
    replied
    All sounds great and I even met Beckey. Your stool is right. What I'm thinking of is a little more spaced out. I was thinking of mounting an old saddle from my horse ridding days on a wooden horse. The horse would face the lathe or mill at a right angle and you would straddle it. My problem with bar stools is that with some of the controls you need to have arms a gorila to reach controls. So far a smaller lathe and a lazy boy are about the only thing that apeals. Just too many hours the last couple of weeks on my feet. Maybe I'm going to have to find someone to lend me a million bucks so I can by one of them new fangled "lights out machines". No attendent required.

Leave a comment:

• Cass
    replied
    I have a scientist acquaintance who lost a couple fingers in a jointer after having a drink or two so I save the bourbon until after the shop work.

In my experience it is a big help to have a step at the lathe so you can put one foot up to keep your back straight. The step is designed so I can kick it around to alternate the foot that is on it. I have a high lab chair close by so I can step back and sit at those times when I am thinking about something or filing off burrs etc. Staying in one position too long gets old no matter what are who you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• JimSr
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragarsed Raglan:
    Lynnl,

Well, she's probably in her late 50's early 60's by now going by the age of the stool!!!!

RR
    </font>
    ...haha... For you kids that might not sound good but for this olddawg that sounds about right...haha...

Leave a comment:

• Ragarsed Raglan
    replied
    Lynnl,

Well, she's probably in her late 50's early 60's by now going by the age of the stool!!!!

RR

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    RR, never mind the stool. Tell us more about Becky!

Leave a comment:

• Ragarsed Raglan
    replied
    I have an old oak school science lab stool. Use it as a table (takes a full 4" dividing head, or 8" rotary table!), use it as a step to check out those high shelves, and best of all sit on it. It has an arse print in the seat area, comfort or what? It even has genuine school inspired graffiti - "Becky has big T*ts" - scrawled on it!!

Funny how they weren't comfortable back when I was at school!

RR

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Rob
    replied
    Never mind your ass- Did the lathe fit the chair, is the important question!

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Dr. Rob:

I had a big comfy leather recliner. Then some fat bastard ruined it. Jesus I was mad! Steel just ain't what it used to be. I made spacers for the offending mechanism and repaired it. Then the F*&^ing steel bent into a pretzel. I am still looking for the receipt and by God, I am taking it back to costco for a refund - 25 year warranty my ass!

But I am not bit...no, wait - My ass fit that chair just right! I am truly pissed now...

Leave a comment:

• Toolmaker Extrodinair
    replied
    machinist chair is a edge pickup tool.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Rob
    replied
    No I don't. They kill my knees. I want the Lazy-Boy.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Steve,

I second the motion. Not many of us pipe smokers left. Not to mention the &lt; &gt;.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Dr. Rob,

I have one of those ergo whatever kill your knees chairs sitting by the dumpster. Ya want it? You pay the shipping.

Leave a comment:

• docsteve66
    replied
    Those "ergonomic chairs"? They are killers. Man in one shop brought one in. He invited me to have a seat. Felt very good, then I had an urge to leave quickly. takes lots of training to go backward when every bone your body wants to go forward. Damn chair would not let go of me. Chair and I wound up entwined, my dignity left where the chair and I first met. I prefer a bar stool, belly laid gracefully over the part where your lower back was intended to go.

The little "back" on the bar stool supports you, giving good posture, increasing enjoyment of life. Now I want a Little shelf along side the stool to set my Bourbon on. May rent one of those gals one of the brothers here suggests. flat headed short or big breasted. Either would solve the drink storage problem. The cleavage storage method seems the more elegant, and I go for elegant. But the Bourbon is the main thing.

Bar stool, Bourbon, pipe and contentment

Leave a comment:

• ibewgypsie
    replied
    Tall stool, nearly standing upright, no back to keep posture right. Rubber mats.

David..

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Rob
    replied
    Yes to the barstool with a back on it, but sit backwards on it. You're leaning forward, right? So, the support should be to your chest.

One of those orthopedic-ergonomic-rest your butt-support your shins-chest suppoting chairs would be nice.

If it's a small lathe, how about a Lazy-Boy recliner, with the lathe mounted on an angled board across the armrests? OOOooohhh yeah

Leave a comment:

Working...
X