No announcement yet.

Endmills...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you're using a manual Bridgy LZ you need to determine the jobs you're machining to decide which TYPE of cutter to use. I mention "Manual" cos the sh4t or bust speeds and feeds multi toothed cutters used on CNC don't do EVERY job on mere handraulic machines.

Two flute cutters were/are and forever will be SLOT drills and are for milling -------SLOTS. Cos they are an over centre cutter, you can plunge vertically into material to get a start to mill a slot. Slots require that the chips are cleared quickly thus two flutes, BUT,If yer start to cleave down the end/side of a lump of job,the CORE strength of the cutter is compromised and the get out is to use a multi flute cos even if the chips don't fall away, there's no fear of Jamming. Before the screamers start whinging that two flutes ARE Ok for END milling, bits of HSS or carbide "travelling faster than a speeding bullet, Is it a car, Is it a plane???" NO, It's bl**dy sharp and could cause a vexing cut.

One point about getting the "Old" cutters resharpened is, if "Old School" at least the pedigree of the material is known.

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
      4 flutes will cut oversize on a slotting operation. Use two or 3 flute then. But thats about the only time I intentionally use 2 flute mills. Usually 3 or 4.

Some of the new coatings are really nice. They allow you to cut aluminum dry without any coolant to keep it from piling up on the cutter.

Coatings... Would these coatings prevent over-aggressive ham-handed haxxzors from welding aluminum to the bit? Going through the assortment on hand I see several in this condition.

Which leads to the question... is is possible to unweld the crap on these bits and attempt to salvage them?

By the way did I mention I'm having fun here? I learned two different methods for hand-making industrial brushes this week in addition to printing an iso****ton of printable things. Depending on the Holiday Schedule I may attempt to make a brush at home using what I learned. Stay tuned and keep checking the police reports.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
      Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I have never had a case of aluminum "welded" to a cutter. This may be because I routinely use cutting lube such as ethanol or "WD-40 like" fluid. Or, it may be because I rarely cut the low strength non-heat treatable alloys. I don't generally use coated cutters either in HSS or carbide. I have no reason to spend the extra money.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Since the term is "salvage" the cutters, toss them in a glass dish, (gently,) that contains a solution of lye. Drano will probably work. The important point is that the alkaline solution will not corrode the steel bits. Rinse them quick though! And before the self-styled OSHA police start to scream, dont drink it, dont put it in your eyes, and generally BE CAREFUL, and wear gloves; lye CAN cause nasty burns. Duffy
          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Working...
          X