Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about an optimist - check this c-listing

http://spokane.craigslist.org/tls/1176753645.html

This is an old Gorton 9J in a basement, missing the spindle and handles, never operable in this location. I looked at it and told the owner, who got it for free with the building, he wouldn't be able to give it away, he'd have to pay someone to move it. Six months later, he's still asking $750 for this pile of scrap iron. Hope springs eternal I guess. Back when scrap was at an all time high, someone might have hauled it for free, but today, he's upside down.

thnx, jack vines

oh my gosh. i should email the guy just to tell him he's an a$$. i agree with you, he'd have to pay someone to haul it out of there.

i think i've told this story on here before. one time there was an ad on fleabay for an old B&S #2 horizontal mill. the seller said it came with the building and he just wanted it out of there. the starting price was something like $120, and the auction ended with no bids (and no reserve). i emailed the seller and asked him what he would take for it since there were no bids. he said i could have it for $200. i told him he was an idiot.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Here's another Craigslist chuckle:

Knee Mill - $3000 (Austin, Texas)l

"Enco Varispeed Knee Mill, 9 x 42. Would be $8,000 if new. A bargain!!"
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

But lazlo, it's a bargin! Buy 2!

rock~
        Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

I'll give 'em $1000 and a double sixer of Old Style.
          I can have it out by Sunday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by polepenhollow
            I'll give 'em $1000 and a double sixer of Old Style.
            I can have it out by Sunday evening.
            I would kill for some Old Style, can't get it out here. I haven't had any since I last visited family in Elgin around "97.
            You can have the mill,and send Me some Old Style so I can help You celebrate when You get it home .

Steve

Comment

Another CL optimist...

This guy is a real optimist. It looks an awful lot like the sub-$200 Enco one we have at work. But he says this one is RARE!! (you know it is, when it is in all caps...).

He seems to post this same press with almost the same line every so often. At least he offers to deliver:

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/1181610440.html

Comment

How about a sweet drill press.

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/tls/1182770592.html

ME

Comment

that was a misplaced decimal point. it was supposed to be $3.75.

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

hey andy thats still too much Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Jack,

It looks like we have more than one online hide-out in common...

Is this the rusty looking Gorton that has been re-listed since some time last year? The ad has been pulled, so I can't tell -- maybe the CL poster is a member?

Comment

A few years ago there was a guy that had an old BP clone for sale with 'make offer'. Went to look at it and while walking up to it I could see that the underside of the table had a distinct curve. Went ahead and talked with him, because I was already there and he had a couple other things I wanted to check out, and figured if he had a realistic price in mind for the thing I may be able to part it out, or fix it with a reasonable investment.

Ended up he was thinking the $2000 to $2500 range and I was thinking somewhere between free and $100. It was the sorriest example I've seen, and I've looked at machines sitting face down in scrap yards.

Another example of a 'sly' CL poster. CL as I understand it prohibits gun sales, but there is someone in the GR craigs list selling 'Hunting tools" inside he says that it uses 762 39.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/tls/1184676334.html

Ken.
                        edit: Just checked, and it's been flagged already.
                        Last edited by kendall; 05-23-2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X