ROFL

404...nothing there.

Comment

I think he means this.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/1174794902.html
      -Dan S.
      dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Ooooooookay. That guy is just dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by websterz
          Ooooooookay. That guy is just dangerous.
          10/3 might be ok for low duty cycle (welder), but certainly not for compressors etc. Did you notice that it is 10/3 ROMEX??? (clue: stiff, double ground) if he paid $250 he got rooked big time! Romex should NOT be used for extension cord. period.

--fred

Comment

> wire spec: 10 gauge, 3 wire, double ground,
            600v, stiff but still flexible <

I've worked domestic and comercial wiring from entrances to all sorts
            of equipment and never heard of "double ground".
            What is he talking about?
            ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by fredf
              Romex should NOT be used for extension cord. period.

--fred
              A range receptacle should not be used for an extension cord either

Comment

It's not Romex. It's the same as this cord that I cut off a dryer. The price isn't that bad either. Try pricing 320 feet of 10 ga copper wire plus two connectors.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It might go under some name other than Romex, but it is solid wire, not flexible and it and the connectors are not proper and should not be used for a portable cord.

Double ground might mean it is on both ends?
                  Jim H.

Comment

How do you know it is solid wire? It doesn't say it is. The cord I show is stranded 10 ga. It isn't particularly flexible either.

Last edited by Evan; 05-21-2009, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Double Ground (poorly named) - 4 wire cord: 2 hot wires (red and black insulation), neutral (white insulation) and (uninsulated or green insulation) ground.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I have never seen wire like that on an appliance. Maybe they have different regs in Canada?

Comment

Maybe I should have checked with you all before I did my own wiring.............

yuk, yuk,

Gary
                          Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

The code here is just about identical to the NEC. There are a few small areas where the Canadian code is slightly more stringent but I don't know of any that are looser.

Comment

Gary, I won't tell about your wiring if you don't .

I can't tell you how many extension cords for welders, etc. that have the same 3 prong 50A ends on them that I have used in various shops. I have one I use in my shop but it has SO cord rated for 50A and it's only about 25 ft. It sure comes in handy and I use it every time I use one of the welders.
                              Last edited by Carld; 05-22-2009, 09:17 AM.
                              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                              X