Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridgeport Powerfeed Full Of *&$%! And Fail...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport Powerfeed Full Of *&$%! And Fail...

Ok I have emailed the Boss about getting pictures so we can identify it better... it's a Bridgeport with a Bridgeport powerfeed. I pull the lever to move the table and sometimes it glides like a (insert crude metaphor here) other times it grinds and stutters and makes unholy noises and jumps about like a (insert humorus and improbable metaphor here.

In general where should I start looking? Gearbox? Motor? Lever arrangment?
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

if its the old heavy manual gearbox type

then you shoiuld be looking at the bottom bearings ..

needs a good clean out or replacement bearings

it could also be the shear pin underneth the right hand side of the table ..coming out ..or its ready to break off that trusty rusty bent nail that replaced it the last time it bust.

all the best.markj
    Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 05-21-2009, 05:57 PM.

Comment

It has an on-off switch and a knob for controlling speed and a "rapid" button.

Sorry, should have mentioned that in the OP.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

are right ..
        dont know anything about them ..other than they leak oil on the curcuit board ..then have problems

but still look at the shear pin

all the best.markj

Comment

Ok both good places to start. I'll open her up tomorrow and report back.

Comment

Trying to remember real hard. Had the same problem, had to replace (make) a bushing for the control lever in the gear box. It became so sloppy that it would not fall into the detents for the left-neutral-right feed properly (a confused transmission). Cured the problem but still sometimes if I’m not positive on my shift the motor still hums but no movement.

When you take it apart it will become quite obvious, that part I remember. There was something else about the gear oil leaking but that was obvious as well and hasn't leaked since.

must be getting old

Cheers, Bob

Comment

Bob:

Even "old" you still know more than I do on the subject. Hopefully your hints + AE's hints will yield results.

Comment

holy crap!

Wasn't expecting you to agree so quick on the old thing....
                Cheers, Bob

Comment

Been a long time since i was in one . But not real fancy in side . Take apart and look should be easy enough to figure out what is not working right .
                  Their are a few bushings that could be wore and the teeth on the directional gear shifter .
                  Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                  http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                  http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero

In general where should I start looking? Gearbox? Motor? Lever arrangment?
                    MSC catalog,for a replacement
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

It sounds like you have a 6F or 8F

Real bad jumpy stuff -I has one -the comutator segments were loose on the armature.. Toast... Found another motor on Ebay...

Check your brushes. Check that oil hasn't filled the bottom of the motor.

Comment

Working...
                      X