Just finished a project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished a project.

Just a few days ago I finished this thing. COMPLICATED!.

THousand Thanks to Jharp for the diagram!!!

Works great.

Teenage_Machinist

Great job, I knew you could do it. How many hours do you think you have in it? Was it as much fun as it looks like to figure out?

Jay
    "Just build it and be done"

Comment

It looks great, Teenage, When are you going to make me one?
      No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Nicely done!!! I would like to see the details of the sockets
          Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

The ball and sockets:

Each ball is a ball bearing, annealed, with stem locktited and pressfitted. The finished sockets were lapped with a drop of oil and modicum of honing compound. (it was in the the box o' chisels my woodworking grandfather gave my family. Dont ask.)

The socket is: 3/8 thru, 1/16 min wall thick, 1/2 inch(the ball diameter) up to end, and a bit bigger size (arbitrary) bored. Then there is a small ring/collar. This is slipped on the arm, a snap ring added, and then the socket/ball is locktited and pressfitted together.

For some reason the bottom one is slaightly loose. Perhaps I need to wash it with degreaser. But it works.

Again, thanks to Jharp.

Probalby took 20 hours, but I am not efficient.

Comment

Nice work, TM - that can easily outlast all of us.

Comment

Excellent, you have a tool that will serve you well for the rest of your life.

Clutch

Comment

Very nice work Ian! I remember awhile back when you asked about the internal clamping mechanism -- the parts breakdown that someone posted sure wasn't simple!
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Why anneal ball bearings? Why not just cut your own ball ends.

I bought one of those ball cutters, and made ball handle ends for almost everything in my shop.

It does look nice, tho....
                    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

saltmine. BUY a ball cutter? Why not build one?
                      Teenager, that a cool tool you have made. One of the joys of machining is the ability to make your own tooling.
                      Nice job and thanks for sharing
                      Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                      Oregon Coast

Comment

I plan to make one, but at the time I did not have one. This was simpler, and probably less chattery.

The size of my lathe makes the construction of ball cutters... A bit complicated. Presuable replace the compound.

Talk about useful. I do not have to calculate what will bump into what when setting up!

Comment

way to go, looks like useful and well made tool

Comment

I'll bet if you look back at the strip down picture you NOW understand what we were talking about?? Time to look back and mentally file away our ministerings.

Good looking piece of "Gear", onward and upwards and don't dare BUY a ball turner, but look at the different types BEFORE diving in.

Regards Ian.
                            You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

The strip down was a bit... Confusing. It was hard to tell what faced which way in the middle. JHarp's sketch, however, shows it all.

Gah. I'm going to pay more attention to these threads that don't go to hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X