Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Harp
    replied
    I somehow missed the comments and questions by oldtiffie and davidfe in the second thread referenced above. My apologies for my lack of response.

I still haven't built the holder, it's on the round tuit list, but other things just keep getting in the way. Gardening and mowing season is here and that puts a serious dent in my tinkering time.

Edit, replied on the wrong thread. Should have been on plungers current thread on indicator holders.
    Last edited by J Harp; 04-02-2011, 11:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Teenage_Machinist
    replied
    Actually, even the chinese ones seem to be more than what this cost...

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    Nicely done. You could have bought one for next to nothing but you won't get the same dose of satisfaction you will get when using it the rest of your life. I never pick up a tool I made myself without appreciating the fact I made it myself. I poured a stupid 15 foot section of concrete sidewalk for our kitchen entrance way 20 years ago and felt specail everytime I put my foot down on it! Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Tnanks

Thanks TM and J Harp.

Very much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Teenage_Machinist
    These notes were provided by J Harp. They show the components, reccomendations, etc. I modifyed, replacing the fine threads with super-tight locktited press fits and removed the tapered area.

My arms are 1/2 inch, balls 1/2 inch, holes in ends of sockets 3/8 inch, stems on balls 1/8 inch.

I tweaked the notes to make them more readable. http://ikrase.googlepages.com/indicatorholder.jpg

Thank you again, J Harp
    I have to add a thank you to j harp for the drawing and to TM for an
    excellent job.

Leave a comment:

• Teenage_Machinist
    replied
    These notes were provided by J Harp. They show the components, reccomendations, etc. I modifyed, replacing the fine threads with super-tight locktited press fits and removed the tapered area.

My arms are 1/2 inch, balls 1/2 inch, holes in ends of sockets 3/8 inch, stems on balls 1/8 inch.

I tweaked the notes to make them more readable. http://ikrase.googlepages.com/indicatorholder.jpg

Thank you again, J Harp

Leave a comment:

• Teenage_Machinist
    replied
    The things are actually fairly simple. There are two arms.

There are two sockets for the arms. There are snap rings to hold the sockets on the arms and the balls in the sockets.

In the corner of the picture you can see part of the diagram. There is a cylinder with an angled side on each end, one has the screw, one has a hole. They push against the angled sides.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Notes

Originally posted by J Harp
    TM

Glad to see it worked for you. I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to follow my untrained sketching and overflowing notes, but I thought it would give you a reason to try many different operations and setups with your machines.

Congratulations on making a useful tool.
    J Harp

That was very decent of you to send those notes etc. to TM and they obviously did the job for him.

I have two of those holders and it had occurred to me that if I had to dismantle them that I might end up with a problem that I could well do without. I was wondering where I'd find notes such as yours which will be very handy if Murphy's Law happens - which it will.

Can you please post those notes here or post them to me by PM or email as it will be very much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Looks really nice and professional.

Who is jharp? Did not see them in the user list.

Originally posted by Teenage_Machinist
    Just a few days ago I finished this thing. COMPLICATED!.

THousand Thanks to Jharp for the diagram!!!

Works great.

Leave a comment:

• Teenage_Machinist
    replied
    I followed your notes pretty closely, however, I used a super-tight press-adn-locktite instead of the tiny internal threads, and I don't have a taper on the inside, just two precise surfaces against each other.

Leave a comment:

• spkrman15
    replied
    NIce work, 20 hours, pretty good !

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Ken_Shea
    replied
    Very nice job !

Leave a comment:

• J Harp
    replied
    TM

Glad to see it worked for you. I wasn't sure if anyone would be able to follow my untrained sketching and overflowing notes, but I thought it would give you a reason to try many different operations and setups with your machines.

Congratulations on making a useful tool.

Leave a comment:

• Teenage_Machinist
    replied
    That's an idea...

I do not know about how it compares to a commercial one. An expensive commercial one would probably be better in some areas, but this is quite good.

Leave a comment:

• DeereGuy
    replied
    Awesome Job!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X