Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job, have a lot of fun.
    Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

well done mate.. you made it look so easy.

Comment

Neat work. Heim ends will sometimes pop apart.
        Suggest putting large safety washers on at least one side of them.

Comment

Thanks guys for looking so close to the details:

Torker: Thanks for the tips, This was the hardest thing I welded so far (2 different thicknesses around a tube joint). I used a 3/32 tungsten and a gas lense so I could get more stick-out. I did see the undercut after I did it, but I thought it was from too much heat. I'm a little confused now - I thought shorter arc gave more amps = hotter, but with a constant current supply does it matter that much (within reason)?

USN RET: No argument. The bolts got too short when I doubled the thickness of the 1/16" tabs that the inner pivots mount to (because I've seen pictures of these ripped out when people have crashed). If you look at unpainted pictures you can see the tabs I added. Basically what was silver was what I started with (Yerf Dog Spiderbox front clip). The design is piss poor on these cheap kart parts - as you noticed they have bearing areas on threads - and as you would imagine the thread in that area is bashed. Right now I cross drilled the nut and wired it. To fix it correctly I'll have to make my own shafts. The a-arms have bushing in them and they are supposed to take the relative movement - with the bold fixed and the tabs only providing location. I'll make my new shafts and weld a tab on the frame that will sit against one of the flats on the bolt hex to ensure that it is stationary and not spinning.

Trap: Thanks for the washer suggestion - good idea, i'll do it. These heim joints are actually left hand thread - why - because that is what I had and got for free!

Comment

Good job, looks an awful lot like one a guy showed over on the metal illness site 2 or 3 months ago.
            James

Comment

Yes that is me on the metal illness site as well (same name as well) - I have more posts there but posting links from one BB to another BB is typically frowed upon by the moderators so I have just been starting becoming active here and transfering posts here because there is a bigger audience.

Comment

Most impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by gda
                  Thanks guys for looking so close to the details:

Torker: Thanks for the tips, This was the hardest thing I welded so far (2 different thicknesses around a tube joint). I used a 3/32 tungsten and a gas lense so I could get more stick-out. I did see the undercut after I did it, but I thought it was from too much heat. I'm a little confused now - I thought shorter arc gave more amps = hotter, but with a constant current supply does it matter that much (within reason)?
                  I wrote this up over on the welding section. Prolly a good thing for everyone who is learning to tig to read...
                  http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...127#post444127
                  Russ
                  I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                  X