British association taps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British association taps?

I've been lurking on this site for a while, and have learned a lot reading the great posts here.
    I retired last year, and have a small shop set up in my Garage.
    I've been bitten by the steam engine bug. I just won a Stuart 10V Kit on E Bay.
    My question is. What's the best source for the BA taps required for this project?
    I'm sure I'll be needing a lot of help as I work on this. I did buy the book on making a vertical engine from castings.

Google "British Taps & Dies" you will find a number of sources.

Comment

Or substitute them for appropriate metric threads...

Dave
      Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Morrison Miniature Machines or Coles Power Models will have them;

http://www.enginemodels.com/

http://www.colespowermodels.com/engines.htm

They are not cheap, but if only one or two are needed, it is not too bad. If the kit came with the fasteners, BA taps & dies will keep things in proper perspective. You can usually get away with plug taps, no neen to buy a three piece set.
        Jim H.

Comment

Yuo don't give a location JimD but one of the UK suppliers I've dealt with gives good service,

http://tracytools.com/

Regards Ian.
          You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Also in the UK:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/RDGTOO...34Q2ec0Q2em322

RDG carry a really good range of modelmaking-sized stuff, very friendly to deal with. They'll post worldwide.

Ian
            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Tracy Tools in the UK give good service by mail. This is almost certainly HERESY, but if you are tapping only CI and gunmetal, the carbon steel taps ARE a lot cheaper and will do the job on one kit. You might seriously consider substituting American and metric sizes and not use BA. The main reason that I suggest this is that, on Saturday, when you WILL break a tap, you only have to wait till Monday to buy a replacement down town. Duffy
              Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

By the way, the Stuart 10V is an "ageless" engine design, introduce, I believe, around 1900. It will look equally good, whether the fasteners are slotted screws or socket heads. There are several suppliers in the US who carry "scale" sizes of hex nuts and cap screws, probably cheaper and faster service. After all, when it is finished,as they say in the Clairol add, "only you and your hairdresser will know!" Duffy
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Since it's Jims first steamer, he probably wants to stay with the factory suppied fasteners.
                  I have deault with almost all of the afore-mentioned suppliers and they have all been responsive. Also there is a chap up near Toronto, who really came to the rescue with BA components a few years back. I am sorry I forgot his name, but he practically drove it to the border to get it out.
                  Youre in safe hands Jim, the hobby will not tolerate slackers.

Rich
                  Green Bay, WI

Comment

The first ever 'real' model that I built was a Stuart 10H from a casting set. This was almost 40 years ago, so I've forgotten exactly what size taps were needed. 2, 4 & 6BA, something like that? A set of 3 taps in all 3 sizes would cost about GBP10, so not a huge outlay. All my taps back then were carbon steel, and I had no problems with them.

I built the engine on a 3 1/4" Box-Ford (no, not Boxford) lathe which I have long since sold; wish I'd kept it!

From memory, I wrecked the supplied crankshaft forging when trying to machine the crank pin, and ended up making a new one out of a Morris Minor halfshaft. Lovely little engine.

Ian
                    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Chokers

I have been using BA threads for 55+ years but not much in the last 10 to any extent. I still have full sets of 0, 2, 3, 4, 5 6, and 8BA taps and a couple of dies as well as full sets of OE, ring and tube spanners for BA.

They are a real hybrid thread series and will make the "why ain't they USA/inch threads?" crowd choke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BA_thread_size

Welcome to metrics!!!

Just thought you'd like to know - couldn't resist the temptation to "stir" either.

Comment

Multi - posted, Florida Jim???

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
                          Multi - posted, Florida Jim???
                          Yes. I posted over on the "Home Model engine Machinist" site Also.
                          This is my first Model engine from castings. I want to get it right.
                          I do want to keep the original "BA" fasteners.
                          I figure tools, and tooling as an investment.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy
                            Tracy Tools in the UK give good service by mail. .. Duffy
                            Second Tracy tools... good service and when I had an oversize tap by mistake they replaced it no problem...

http://www.tracytools.com/

Comment

Wasn't a poke Jim, it's just that as one other has mentioned, on a Saturday afternoon, knowing who you can "nip down the road to" after the "Squeek - PING" thing has just happened -------

Regards Ian.

Comment

Working...
                              X