shaft material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaft material?

Hello all! What type of material (4140,1018 or ?) do i make a shaft out of for my King Midget. The drive system is like a snomobile centrifical clutch with a 22 Honda engine. It is 3/4 dia x 3 feet long. The 1st one i made out of 303
    and pulley whiped too much and bent it. I will put 2 bearings on the end of
    this housing and get the pulley as close i can to the housing to reduce the shaking Thank you....Dean
    www.neufellmachining.com

If you have that much torque I'd make it out of 4140HT. It's only 32Rc and still machines nicely.

Comment

Dean- Maybe a piece of pipe would be stronger. Might be worth a try. Tom

Comment

Gonna be tough finding pipe to beat 4140 for tensile.

Comment

definately 4140

Comment

Driveshafts are a sort of pipe and they are low tensile strength. Or maybe you could use 4140 HT with a center mounted "steady" type of bearing?
            Last edited by knedvecki; 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM.

Comment

dneufell, where did you get the plans for your King Midget? I've been wanting to build one or something like it.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Carld.....I bought it a couple of years ago......I did not build it....I redid all the drive line stuff (front end,shocks,brakes,bearings,tires,cables,blinkers,) ...but with this and my other micro car (Freeway) things were not engineered too heavy duty. They are toys/oversized go karts. There is
                always a major flaw somewhere with these types of toys.......Dean

It is not a drive shaft.....it is a 3/4 diameter piece of steel crossing
                to the other side (they call it a jack shaft)

thank you all for the responses...........
                www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

4140 HT should be good for a jackshaft. About 15 years ago I made a splined 4140 PH 3/4 inch dia. X 3+ feet long shaft for the hydraulic drive on a WABCO Motor Grader for a ranch that I worked at in CO. The "Cowboy" ranch hands used this grader to plow the roads. However, at -10 deg F, without warming the unit up, running 32 weight Hydraulic Oil, they twisted the shaft into 2 pieces. So, I made it out of 4140 HT the second time, hoping that they would not trash the transmission. This shaft ran inside of the driveshaft. And I was just suggesting that maybe you could add a center support / carrier bearing type of affair to stop the whip which could be induced by excessive torque.

Comment

I have began designing a 4 whl dr indipendent suspension vehicle a little larger than the King Midget. It's a mind design so far without anything on paper. I did some searching and couldn't find plans anywhere but they probably want to much for them anyway.

I just have to be sure what I build can be licensed.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

shaft

We always used 4340 rather than 4140 for shafts, especially if the were going to be cantilevered. 4340 is more fatigue resistant than 4140 which is more wear resistant. This was for the oil patch were things take a beating. Peter
                      The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Working...
                      X