compressor motor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compressor motor question

The motor on my air compressor quit working. It goes to turn on and just buzzes, but doesn't turn, although none of the magic smoke escaped. I plan on taking it to a motor shop to see if it can be saved economically (It's just a 1/2hp single phase motor), but in case it can't, is there anything wrong with using a continuous duty motor on a compressor rather than compressor duty? Will the constant starts and stops burn it up? Is compressor duty another way of saying "cheap motor with low duty cycle"?

Thanks,
    Stuart
    Stuart de Haro

Probably the start cap, or the centrifugal switch. Not a big deal to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by hornluv
      but in case it can't, is there anything wrong with using a continuous duty motor on a compressor rather than compressor duty?
      No,so long as the compressor doesn't require a high starting torque.1/2HP means it probably won't need anything special.

Originally posted by hornluv
      Will the constant starts and stops burn it up? Is compressor duty another way of saying "cheap motor with low duty cycle"?
      Shouldn't matter one bit so long as the compressor's check valve and unloader are healthy."Compressor duty" usually means low duty cycle since they typically only run near max for a few minutes at a time.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If it is the points?? take the end off the motor and take some "paper" and polish them.. they become corroded a lot of times making people replace the motor or send it out for winding when it does not need it..

That winding. It is in series with the capacitor and the points, the position of the capacitor in front or behind the winding "phase" delays the wave to give it it's initial direction..

With the belt off the motor, turn it on and give it a spin.. if it takes off it is "that" part of the motor, capacitor, points or start winding or connections between them.. Something interesting? if that part of the motor is out? it can run in either direction... just spin it in the other one..
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
        X