Air Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor

I have started on my black iron pipe install and have been looking for a new compressor.

I got a couple of posters warning me about the Ingersoll Rand single stage
    SS5L5 5 HP, single phase, vertical 60 Gal. compressor.

My pocket book would prefer a single stage and I don't know if I will ever require higher pressures again.

Is the Ingersoll Rand 2340L5 2 stage a better, or good choice?

What do you suggest?
    Last edited by ligito; 06-12-2009, 11:52 PM.

If you go with the ir get the 2475 pump its bigger and will run slower on a 5hp motor. I would try to get an older 2 stage unit were it me.

Comment

Originally posted by Robo
      If you go with the ir get the 2475 pump its bigger and will run slower on a 5hp motor. I would try to get an older 2 stage unit were it me.
      What model compressor uses the 2475 pump?

Comment

I don't know the pump numbers but I wouldn't want anything except an 80 gallon two stage with a five hp rated motor.. WIth a setup like that you can get up to 20 SCFM at 90 psi. Sure, they're expensive but you'll probably never need another one. An air compressor is something that you might want to pony up for.

I have a vertical since I didn't have room for a horizontal. Either one is fine if you have the room. I think a vertical may be easier to drain but that's another issue.

A single stage 60 gallon will always be cycling while you're running your bead blast cabinet or some other heavy air usage. JMO. YMMV.

Comment

Even a two stage piston pump will not make 20 [email protected] PSI on only 5 HP, 16 maybe and of course the tank will have nothing to do with CFM. Actually the difference between a 60 gallon and an 80 gallon tank is going to be very little and will make no difference in performance, it will however have fewer start/run (but longer) cycles during any given work period. An 80 gallon tank vs a 60 gallon does have a VERY slight advantage in reducing the number of cycles during a work period but not enough advantage to warrant spending much money on so look for the most SCFM and a quality motor rather than the size of the tank, a big tank does not make a big compressor.

When looking at the motor power the AMP rating on the data plate is a much better indicator of actual power than the HP rating.

Comment

Something else to consider when looking for a compressor. Atlas-Copco a large Company that seems to be buying up compressor brands world-wide Assembles 8 brands in the US. From parts from the US and other.

What complicates the mater more is some brands use more than one maker for their compressors.
            A lot of Husky's are assemble in the same plant as Campbell-Hausfelds,Kobalt's, Wall Mart and some Craftsman.

Harbor Freight USA, Chicago Pneumatic,and some other Craftsman are made by Atlas-Copco in Rock Hill NC

Most of the Stamped tanks are manufactured in Va or Indiana.
            If there is a VH stamped on the pump or tag for the compressor unit, It means that the pump unit was assembled in China.(Husky,C-H,Kobalt,Wal Mart)

The electric motors can be assembled from any where. no matter what name is on them.

Emerson or Dorr motors can be from Mexico, US, Canada or all points between. Dorr Electric motor company is owned by Granger's but they don't sell their own brand in house.

Whether it is Baldor, Emerson,Dorr, WEG most are assembled in Mexico. Cheaper shipping

The Emerson's on the IR's @ Tractor Supply where from Mexico.

The tanks, guards, hardware, plumbing items,some controls are sourced from US companies but can be of foreign origin.
            So that adds another layer to the made in the USA.

In case you are wondering If you see North America, North American or made in North America. It is a pretty good bet that it is made in Mexico.

The Louisville ladder line and company along with a number of the smaller ladder companies are now owned by a Mexican company. They don't like selling parts other than the safety related one mandated by the feds here and in Canada.
            The lady at the call service center told me my ladder (aluminum) 1999 was told old and to by a new one for a plastic rail cap that broke over the winter!
            Glen
            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Duplicate post
              Last edited by PTSideshow; 06-13-2009, 01:06 PM.
              Glen
              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by ligito
                What model compressor uses the 2475 pump?
                Off hand not sure but grainger sells them so you can look it up there.

Comment

Something else I noticed not long ago at HF was they have a pump on their gas powered air compressors that looks very much like the inline 2 stage pump Eaton sells (which is a copy of a saylor beale). I did not see it on an 80 gallon tank with an electric motor but believe it might be available.

Comment

I have a buddy who has the HF US General two stage and it is a darn good compressor! This thing has been used in his auto body shop for well over a year now and sees very heavy use, it runs relatively quiet, is very efficient (recharges quickly) does not get hot and the motor does not seem to be overloaded at shut-off like some compressors. I would buy one of these WAY before I would buy the over priced and over hyped Ingersoll.

Comment

I've got a two stage Eaton that I have been very happy with, price was great, shipping was so cheap as to be hard to believe. I got the three phase version of this with a horizontal tank.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...47/6980263.htm

I see they have upgraded to an baldor motor and the price is the same as two years ago.
                      James Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by Robo
                        Something else I noticed not long ago at HF was they have a pump on their gas powered air compressors that looks very much like the inline 2 stage pump Eaton sells (which is a copy of a saylor beale). I did not see it on an 80 gallon tank with an electric motor but believe it might be available.
                        HF pumps are made by Atlas-Copco, They own pump and compressor companies in most countries and most of the made (or assembled in the USA HF compressors) are their pumps gas or electric which might be the same pump as the saylor beale. Which they might own along with Eaton now a days they are an Italian construction and mining equipment company. They current pumps where being shipped in from Italy.
                        Glen

Comment

Check out Gardner-Denver ... how would 2032 acfm at 125 psi suite your needs? (They do make smaller models, but I expect they are pricey. But just think what you could do with 2032 acfm ... lol)

Comment

Both mine are Hydrovane 15 cfm's run that quiet you can have a conversation on the phone at the side of one and stand you cup on one whist it's running.

This is same as mine but tank mounted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/hydrovane-15-c...mZ330336061074

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I need a 5 HP, single phase, single, or 2 stage, 60 Gal vertical tank 230 Volt.
                              I found an Ingersoll Rand SS5L5 locally, for a little over $700 but a couple of posters said they had problems with them.

If the 2 stage 2340L5 IR is okay, it's around $1300.

I haven't shopped at any other local compressor stores, yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X