Inspired bicycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspired bicycles

This verges on being impossible. Is it for real? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o
    Last edited by aostling; 06-15-2009, 10:57 AM.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Incredible balance!

Comment

Absolutely awesome. Very inspirational.

Comment

He's sure good! People do similar things on modern trials motorcycles as well. It's really quite amazing.

Comment

Yea I think it's real. But notice the guy looks 4 years older near the end of the movie. I'm guessing a few of those stunts required more then one try Can you imagine the money you could make betting people on the street of the stunts you'd try !!
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Nah, that's Edinburgh, you would'nt get any money out of them they're tighter than Aberdonians!
            West Sussex UK

Comment

You have to be remarkably indifferent to the 'downside" scenario to ride the fence....... I think I'd try most any of the other tricks in preference (and I am *not likely* to do any of them.....)

I have a distinct lack of appreciation for being impaled.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Yeah, I've watched that before...he's pretty great....bicycle trials riding is pretty impressive and inspiring.

John

Comment

Unemployed?

He sure must practicwe a LOY must not have a real Job LOL Amazing stuff.

Comment

I enjoyed the heck out of the video but I'm not sure it's all on the up and up. I notice that at some times he has to have a fixed drive, for instance to be able to back pedal and reverse, but other times it seems to freewheel since he can roll without peddling. I suppose you could make a freewheel lock but it just seems a little to facile to me to be real.
                    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Danny MacAskills the best in the world at what he does, Its a matter of incredible pride and there's no BS, You don't work that hard at something and then put out a bogus video to discredit yourself -- he may not have what some people call a "real job" - But He's got himself an early retirement career.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                        I enjoyed the heck out of the video but I'm not sure it's all on the up and up. I notice that at some times he has to have a fixed drive, for instance to be able to back pedal and reverse, but other times it seems to freewheel since he can roll without peddling. I suppose you could make a freewheel lock but it just seems a little to facile to me to be real.
                        I check the video again carefully and when he is pedaling backwards he's not driving the wheel but instead just moving backwards from the momentum of the previous move. He just makes it look like he's pedaling backwards.

Also note that he uses more than one bike for the video.

This guy is for real. You can tell from the video that he's also very modest about his accomplishments.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                          Well, the video was made over a few months; I can just imagine the blooper reel

For those wishing to learn a few stunts and all about the bikes: http://www.trashzen.com/

Trackstands at traffic lights are a nice way of passing the time....

- Bart
                          Bart Smaalders
                          http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

Originally posted by barts
                            Well, the video was made over a few months; I can just imagine the blooper reel

For those wishing to learn a few stunts and all about the bikes: http://www.trashzen.com/

Trackstands at traffic lights are a nice way of passing the time....

- Bart
                            When I was a bike messenger and at college, I did trackstands at traffic signals. Not easy for me, but if I can do it, it's not that difficult a skill for a trials biker. It's right down there with riding a bike backwards sitting on the handlebars.

I think the video is real, but heavily edited. And as others have pointed out, Danny MacAskill is world class, not just some kid from the neighborhood. I've also seen videos of people getting pretty nasty and gruesome injuries attempting some of the easier (? I have trouble saying that...) of these stunts. I can only imagine the incredible amount of practice and the many, many injuries it took to get to this kind of skill level.

I suspect that, for many kids, there's an interval of varying length that starts at the age of around 12 and usually ends in the early 20's. During said interval, the self-preservation instinct is supressed dramatically. Perhaps this is when Nature allows us to attempt the extraordinary in order to fetch a mate. I know when my "immortality" interval ended, too - when I completely separated my shoulder in a bicycle accident at the age of 25. Until then, I had no idea so much pain was possible. Afterwards, I started getting more and more cautious.

-M
                            The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Originally posted by rotate
                              You can tell from the video that he's also very modest about his accomplishments.
                              Is this sarcasm? Really - how can you tell one way or another? I can't see his expression, and it seems to me like his hands (and feet) are preoccupied, preempting any kind of "high 5", pumping a fist in the air, etc.
                              The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Working...
                              X