Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a side and face cutter in brass

Hi All

Is there any problem that I am not aware of when using a side and face cutter to cut a slot in brass?

Thank you...
    Kind regards

Peter

If you are referring,to the same tools as what we call side cutting pliers that generally are used for small dia wire. And Face cutters the same as End nippers/flush cutters used in for wire here. I know that even the best of mine wouldn't do a good job.

There are in the picture left side next to the wooden bench pins.

Black and red handles3 pair and a small blue ones.

My personal preference is a jewelers saw frame and the proper blade. With a bench pin.

Faster neater less clean up and cheaper if you don't have a dremel or that type of tool or the sheet metal nibbler that cuts a little section out.
    The general rule of thumb is 3 teeth of the blade on the metal edge at all times.

And the bench pin can be a section of board clamped to the table. As long as it has a V slot and area so you can manipulate the saw and material.
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Are you reffering to an endmill when you say face and side cutter to cut the slot?
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Hi

Sorry guys I knew what I meant, but I was not clear enough in my question. I did mean a side and face MILLING cutter.

To use to cut a slot in the end of a brass shaft. I proposed a jig in this forum...
        http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpo...97&postcount=1

my suggestion was...

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpo...2&postcount=15

any comments?

Thank you...
        Kind regards

Peter

Comment

The Translation from English to English sometimes loses much in the translation or to American
          Glen
          Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
          I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Working...
          X