Sad Industrial Mishap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Industrial Mishap

Just saw on the News this morning that some poor fellow got himself caught up in a Lathe.
    One very obviously shaken coworker said it was the worst thing he could ever imagine.
    So watch yourself guys, be safe.
    Tom M.

Where did this happen?

Comment

It seems there have been several recent incidents.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...l_acciden.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...05/2590011.htm

http://sundaygazettemail.com/News/200905210729
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Grim stuff. One of my buddys just picked up a lathe. He he has ZERO machine tool experience and seemed somewhat surprised when I told him how serious a piece of equipment it is. I would venture a guess that most of us here work alone in our shops most if not all of the time, all the more reason to be extra careful.

Comment

My maxim is turn your brain on and be super alert before turning on any machine. Look around and say "What's the worst thing that can happen" I unusually work alone and only have myself to rescue me, if I'm wrapped up in a machine there's no one to unwrap me. Peter
          The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

With the lathe, make sure your chuck key is IN YOUR HAND before applying power. That's the ultimate failsafe. If it is in your hand it is not in the chuck.

This is a trick an oldtimer taught me. Pick up the chuck key and say "the key is in my hand I am turning on the power now." This is a mental check and it also warns other people around the lathe.

Also, and this one scared the %$(* out of me, make sure if you use screw in collets that everything is tight before applying power. I managed to launch something quite a distance last night.
            This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
            Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
            Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

The sad news of this fatal accident, makes one ponder on the thought, "There but for the grace of God go i" It does not take a particularly huge lathe to kill a person, as was proved, by a really nasty fatal accident with a lathe in Scotland about twenty-five odd years ago, An experienced turner was caught up on a long bed lathe of about 15" centre height and mangled, before his colleagues could save him, AS we all work alone, sometimes burning the midnight oil, we should always remember safety first, even though we are by and large using really small machines, It is worth pondering also on the thought, What would be the long term effects on oneself of even a nasty injury?
              Enjoy the hobby of making things safely guys.

Comment

Allways remember to wear Your safety glasses or face shield when in the shop. Just because You got away with out having eye protection in the past does not mean You will get away with it the next time.

Steve

Comment

Dont just resect a lathe. A big drill press/mill can kill you all the same.

Comment

The lighter side.

The lighter side of a serious subject.

Be Safe,

Les.
                    Les H.
                    The Impossible Takes Just A Little Bit Longer!

Comment

the thought of these types of accidents sends a chill up my spine. We had a poor bugger here in AUS squashed when his trolley jack failed.

I am as rough as guts but I always think a step ahead always ask "what if?"

Comment

I wonder how many of these accidents are due to sandpaper wrapping the piece??

People use wrap sticks for a reason.. sticks didn't bend and take your fingers nearly as quick as a piece of emery cloth.
                        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                          I wonder how many of these accidents are due to sandpaper wrapping the piece??.
                          Good question. I've seen otherwise experienced guys polish a piece in the lathe with a three foot long piece of abrasive cloth with the ends hanging over either side of the work piece.

Comment

Always run the lathe in reverse when polishing. That way it grabs the emery over the top which beats the heck out of getting pulled between the work and the ways. I use fairly short strips of emery and if it won't work on a stick I hold it so it will be snatched out of my fingers.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Forward/reverse makes little difference when polishing with emery. If doing the shoe shine bit, use long strips and keep the ends well separated. At polishing speeds, if the emery wraps around the work, a real danger exists for finger or thumb removal. It will be almost instantaneous and the direction the lathe is turning will only determine which hand loses the digit.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X