Blade Welder Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Welder Power

I have a Kalamazoo Startrite bandsaw with an Ideal Startrite blade welder on it. I have re-wired the drive motor and blade grinder motor to run on 240 three phase but the blade welder is 460 volt only.
    I have read in previous posts about using a step-up transformer to go from 240 to 480. I power my shop with a 5hp rotary phase converter. The welder draws 6.5 amps at 460. Does anyone know if a step-up transformer will work to power the blade welder, and if so what size?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

the harbour fr. one works pretty good used mine alot might be easier and cheaper than a transformer

Comment

I've looked on ebay for stepup transformers and they look expensive. The harbor freight one might be a way to go. I've also heard talk of tig welding blades. I may try that. Thanks for the input.
      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

You might be able to find a 480 -> 240 control transformer, I'd think 2 Kva would be big enough. Connect it "backwards" to feed your welder. I probably have one 'in stock', but we're probably not close, and shipping would be expensive.

Comment

Working...
        X