Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to hear from some smart guys

good afternoon.

i bought this [new to me] Cincinnati Toolmaster mill last week. mill ran fine. no problems.

yesterday i was milling away and it stopped. i shut everything down and checked power from service entrance forward. no problems until i got to the switch on top that turns it off and on and reverses it. i found some loose connections there. put it all back together and mill ran, but sometimes i would have to jiggle the switch to make it start.

this morning it stopped again. same deal. motor hums but doesn't start. switch jiggling is not effective.

i would appreciate anyone who could offer any insight on this problem doing so. it looks like an expensive switch to me.

thanks and happy weekend.
    bill
    ........i dremel. therefore i am..........................

Is it a capacitor motor actually sounds like a faulty switch,but if it hums and does not spin it could need a new capacitor. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Does the switch control a relay which turns the motor on and off, or do the motor power leads go thru the switch (drum switch)? Single or three phase?

Comment

good afternoon.

Alisair,

i don't know. explanation below.

BHAMR,

i suppose it is a drum switch. and the motor power leads go to it. reverse-off-forward switch.

i went back to shop after posting and jiggled switch some and made mill run. i am convinced it is the contacts in the switch. the switch has numerous wires that connect to it. when this first happened, i checked all the wiring up to the switch. made sure i had voltage on all 3 legs. it seems to me that the problem has to be in the switch. the starter and everything before the switch work right. the switch works sort of sometimes. i do not understand much about this. however, i think that what is going to end up happening is a new switch because it is a sealed unit and i wouldn't know what i was doing anyway if i could take it apart.

thanks.
        bill

Comment

If you have a drum switch, to get fwd/off/rev, one would have to rotate the knob or lever rather than push a button. I'm assuming this is your case. There should be three wires, one for each of the three phases going in, and three going out. This assumes we are talking 3 phase. This does not include a ground wire if one is present. The function of the switch is to open all three legs in the off position. Fwd and rev will switch two of the three legs - again assuming three phase.

Comment

sorry. it is a 3 phase machine. i don't recall how many wires there were going to it, but i am pretty sure that there are more than that. i am not near machine right now.

thanks again.
            bill

Comment

Is the motor single speed or two speed.

Comment

single speed.

Comment

Replace the switch. If it is a drum swich (a handle that swings right-left with a center "off" position) they are not overly expensive (Allen-Bradley is common). If it is a twist switch (black knob, 3 position) this is an industrial grade control switch also made by Allen Bradley and others. Cheaper than a drum switch.

Comment

I would look at replacing the switch, but also look around the machine "relays" and such for "reset" switches. Sometimes power surges or cuts get deep and your relays will shut off for safety. push the "re-sets" first - power off at ther main for safety - then try again. I have saved the purchase of many a new switch trying this idea first.

And yes, the motor will hum when one "reset" goes off.
                    CCBW, MAH

Comment

At great personal expense, may I suggest you look up a thread from a couple-three weeks ago, called, "Why doesn't my lathe work?" or "What is wrong with my motor?", something like that. Author would be yours truly.

Comment

The switch is probably at fault. This does not mean that it is the only thing that could be the problem. 3 phase drum switches are bad for the points arcing off and giving only 2 phases to run on. It could very possibly have a motor starter on it to check as well. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X