my new lathe "wood lathe that is"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my new lathe "wood lathe that is"

Well not so new now but laST YEAR I bought a new woodworking lathe and sold my other one which was a smaller wadkin bursgreen. This new one was a startrite big job about 6 feet between cebntres and over the bed about 8 inches double to 16inches or slightly more so it has a big capacity,Anyway it has a couple of design elements that I don't like.First one is no through hole in the headstock and the other is although a plus is that its 240 volts single phase it's really too fast ,no matter how you try, and even when belt changing it is dangerously fast.I am going to have to change the nice big single phase motor for a simlar three phase and do an invertor change with it this should sort irt out .I cannot seem to contact startrite and any thing on google etc does not show startrite doing lathes this is really the professional side of record does anyone know how to contact them re this startrite not record.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Jock,
    Is it a Startrite as in Startrite Bandsaw co etc or is it a Union as they did a model called Startrite.

Also did a big one called Union Graduate, could it be a bit of badge engineering ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

No John I used to own a graduate myself this is a very modern lathe " much bigger than the graduate a real long bed lathe in fact heres a few pics thanks .OOPs I mean pal err it will be tomorrow now I can't find the ones I took and am too tired to go tonight to do it again sorry guys will post some soon.Alistair.Alistair
      Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 06-23-2009, 03:51 PM.

Comment

here it is at last as said the bed is about 6 feet thanks excuse the mess on it I am cleaning the shop spring cleaning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 06-23-2009, 03:51 PM.

Comment

John here it is at last definitely Startrite same as bandsaw etc etc .As said the bed is about 6 feet and is about 8 feet overall .It is a big a heavy bugger about one third of a ton or more, thank goodness it comes to pieces any help woul'd be greatfully received .I know Strartrite is a professional arm of record tools or so I believe thanks.Please excuse the mess on it I am cleaning the shop spring cleaning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 06-23-2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Very nice HD set up Alistair, always wanted to try my hand at wood turning but never got to doing it.

Almost did about 6 months ago when I saw an older Rockwell (when they built HD stuff) wood lathe go for $300, called and it was of course already sold.

Ken

Comment

Variable speed motors

Alistair.

I have a 230v 1 phase 50 cycle set-up in my shop. My (Chinese) lathe needs "slowing down" for screw-threading but I haven't done anything about it yet.

I have considered putting in a 3-phase variable speed set-up but the cost and hassle is not worth it

I've considered changing pulley ratios and other things, but without really looking into it, I was attracted to these variable-speed 230v 1 phase motors - which are not cheap by any means but may be an effective easy to implement solution with 600>1800 RPM speed range::

2 HP:
              https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=E122

1 HP:
              https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=E120

CMG Motors:
              http://www.cmggroup.com.au/Products.php

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...=&aq=0&oq=cmg+

Comment

well Alistair ..you were always asking what you could make with your 1024 and the rest of your metalworking kit ..put it to use ..and make a set of inter-changeable pulleys for it ....dodle of a job.

no need to swap motors .

pulley and belt calculator
                http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html

and you will find how to make an internal keyway cutter attatchment for the lathe on many sites

all the best./mark
                Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 06-23-2009, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry mark not possible! Unfortunately the design is no good for that plan.Ther-in lies the problem I have plenty of pulley wheels I could supply Woolworths with them but there is not room up top spindle for a large pulley the max I could fit would be about five inches because of the space within the pulley spindle housing cabinet on the end of the lathe.I had two good friends look at it Fred and my old college lecturer JIM their both engineers and have advised me.they measured between the top spindle and the housing casing at that point.On top of whicth the hassle with my back problems getting down on the ground and winding the motor on a bed up and down would make woodturning less than a happy occasion thanks anyway pal.Alistair
                  Last edited by Alistair Hosie; 06-23-2009, 06:08 PM.

Comment

you got loads of other choices ..there are other pulleys including the motor one .

all the best.markj

Comment

I wondered about making a countershaft type of arrangement / come third pulley arrangement within the existing housing and that's why I asked their advice but this is also maybe too difficult .I still wonder if the invertor is the answer.I don't know what other pulleyc you are referring to mark Alistair

Comment

post a pic of the pulleys including the motor

if you put an inverter on it ..some of those controls may have to be reworked ..or made redundant (what are the small black buttons for)

it may be easier to cut away the top housing around the spindle pulley to put a larger one on ..than to rework the switch gear.

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon

(what are the small black buttons for)

all the best.markj
                          They are grommets, Wallace.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Alistair, you near any of these places?

This url, on the left side of the page say "forth coming shows". Maybe you could get some answers there especially if you take a pic of your lathe with you.

http://www.startrite.co.uk/index.php?co=1&cswitch=1

Good luck old friend and if you can buy your way out of a jam then go for it. Lifes too short for fulling with modifications if you got loot to work with Power that baby up and get making some dust!
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I know it will have to be re-routed regarding the wiring ,as invertors don't like magnetic switches. Anway you'ld need to see it mark the design is ( for such a big company) pretty short term thought out.The spindle is not centred in the cabinet and is off to the side,as there is a big chunk of metal running all the way down like a cabinet within a cabinet protecting the complete front panel switch gear etc,so there is only room as said for mx 5 inches pulley and that means not slow enough .Actually they have put two pulleys top and two pulleys bottom spindle which are about the same all of them are virtually the same what's that about? no it is going to need an invertor. I have looked at it every way mark believe me.It is currently running at about 2000 or 2500 or above ,and that's it's slowest speed so when I put a big bowl blank on it's pretty frightening believe me.A daft design . I wish I could contact them but I have found startrite but when you try to contact them there is only options for other machinery not lathes it's as though they never made a lathe I have actually thought that perhaps it's not a startrite as it doen't actually say startrite on it but I bought it as a startrite. Don't get me wrong this is a fabulous lathe. When I get over this problem it's going to do me for the rest of my days it's really a super strong big lathe apart from these niggly points, I really like it everything else is superbly manufactured ..Anyway thanks so far mark and John and My pal Doggy off to bed now Alistair

Comment

Working...
                              X