Survey of shop time and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survey of shop time and others

After another nearly sleepless night, I started wondering about (what else do you do when not sleeping?) the time available for us in our shops. Every once in a while this topic comes up and there are some responses posted here. But I dont think that anyone has added up the results.

Since the insomnia had me up, I thought that I would see if there is a site that allows one to build a survey page. And just leave it up to the web to not only have one place to do this, but many different places to do it.

This has no affiliation with HSM or the publisher. Nor do I sell the results and become rich. I was just a bit curious and thought it might be of interest.

Here is a little survey I put together if your into such things. You can only fill it out once so if you go back later it will tell you that you already filled it out previously.
    http://www.makesurvey.net/cgi-bin/su...8CA22D6F9F8D1A

And the results are here - http://www.makesurvey.net/cgi-bin/su...8CA22D6F9F8D1A

I added two other questions that are also sometimes asked here.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

So where's the question on the best way to knurl ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      So where's the question on the best way to knurl ?

No two answers would be the same, a statistician's nightmare.

rock~
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

cost

Originally posted by rockrat
        I added two other questions that are also sometimes asked here.
        Should ask how much we spend. You know how this works guys, everyone get together and answer some multiple of what you actually spend, then show the wife the overall results and wait for shower of compliments at your comparative stingyness or suggest some purchases are appropriate to "catch up" with the gang. We all sink or swim together guys so we all enter the "correct" answer right?

Comment

Well, it was short and sweet but not complete. Should have had a few more questions but that's a matter of opinion.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Never mind the 'what would you buy next', what about 'get some extra space'

Peter
            I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

So I can't be accused of stealing RRs idea I suggest that Rock do another two surveys. The first will be a new thread to ask what questions should be on the next survey. Then Rock puts all those suggestions on a survey and askes "Should this question be on the next survey? Pick no more than ten."

Then he puts the top ten questions on a new survery and we answer it.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

As long as we have the knurling one

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                  As long as we have the knurling one
                  Or collets versus endmill holders.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

John, if you need help with knurling you come to the right place!
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                      Or collets versus endmill holders.
                      Don't forget way oil vs. whatever.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I want a small plasma and a tig. then I can cut and weld almost anything.

My shop is so piled with un wanted junk I just walk out there and say screw it. I have lots of tools if I can get some climbing gear on and navigate the heaps of my womans junk.

I find I need 3 sheds now. one for the womans stuff(dump run if you ask me), one for yard equipment(mower,weedeater, rakes, shovels,,,)
                        one for me, beer fridge, couch, stereo, tools and more tools

Right now there is no point in cleaning the shop, it amounts to moving one $hitheap to another $hit heap and I gain nothing, I need to haul things away. (scrap,dump,give away,,)

I also have a motor home blocking my driveway all the time, I told the old lady its not going to stay I want to sell it and buy a nice motorcycle that eats up less space.

Comment

shear brake only any good, if you have the welder first ..

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                            shear brake only any good, if you have the welder first ..

all the best.markj
                            screws and rivets are easy to use but the cost adds up over a few spot welds real fast.

it depends on what you do like always.

Comment

Last week I was talking to my old pal, Don MacRostie, who is a full time tool and product designer for a guitar making tool supplier. He also has a home shop where he makes mandolins in his spare time, and we often trade stories about how much time we spend in our shops.

I told him I'd recently installed an hour meter on my shop's light circuit so I could tell exactly how much time I spend there. He admitted having done the same thing years ago.

Turns out I average about 18 hours a week after three months of recording. Even at 65, retirement isn't in the cards for me, so I couldn't check the bottom box of the survey - I'll still work full time.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
                              HomeShopTech

Comment

Working...
                              X