Cleaning glass scale on DRO !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning glass scale on DRO !!!

I need some input before I mess something up, We have a DRO scale on our HBM at work, it's approx ten feet long, thus my reason for not wanting to screw it up. There is one spot that misses consistently. I'm hoping it's not a broken scale, and just dirt. here's my question, Can I just clean the glass scale with some vcr head cleaner and those special Q tips or is there something else that I should use.

Thanks in advance for your help

Tim

I've cleaned many glass scales, mostly Teledyne Gurley. I always use toilet paper and glass cleaner. Don't use paper with lotion in it.

Comment

Tim

I would contact the company that made the scales and check with them. It depends on how they are made as to the procedure for cleaning them. Better safe than sorry - especially with a 10' spar!

Comment

The scale is not very easy to get at, I would have to reach into a very small space to clean it, Thrud as usual you have very sage advice, I usually hate talking to companies on these matters as they almost always say, it cannot be done, and you must send it in for repairs, not a viable option, I'll give it a try though.

Thanks again

Tim

Comment

For most optical cleaning, I use a 50:50 mix of distilled water, 99% isopropyl alcohol (pharmacist can order for you) and 1 tiny drop of ivory liquid per quart.

The reason this mix works well is that the water content keeps it wet just long enough to wipe with a dry cloth (q-tip, lens paper, etc.).

Try to avoid most paper tissues as the wood fiber content and manufacturing residues can scratch.

The glass scale probably has deposited chrome which is pretty tough but why take chances.

Den

Comment

You guys are right. Why take a chance on such a long scale. It would be very expensive to replace.
            Another thing I have experienced is misalignment of the scale and or readerhead which has caused skipping.

Comment

I got lucky, I thought about what was said, slept it on a couple of nights and went at it fresh this morning. I wish the manufacturers of the scales would give dimensions in their books for positioning of the reader head. Through a little guess work I adjusted the head a little closer to the scale ( 10 thou) and that solved the skipping problem. The new scale came with little red clips but they got thrown out by the ones who know no better, so resetting is usually fun. Thanks again for your input...

Tim

Comment

Working...
              X