Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Staubo
    replied
    From recommendation by John S. in another recent thread here, I ordered vol. 1&2 of "Workshop Technology" by Chapham.
    I bought them used from UK, the books were very cheap but with postage it came to a total of $22.70 (bought on Abebooks.com).

I got them books today, right on time for my birthday .

Going to read them on the bed now, will probably go to sleep quite fast I suspect .

Leave a comment:

• Oldbrock
    replied
    I taught from and still prefer " Technology of Machine Tools" by Steve F Krar and Albert F Check. Krar has collaborated with others in earlier texts. Got my last copy from Alibris. ISBN 0-02-803071-0 It will probably cover most of any HSM needs. Peter

Leave a comment:

• TexasKnifeMaker
    replied
    I asked this question a little over a year ago - what's a good set of books for a beginner - and got some great answers. Try this thread - - - http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=29183

Regards,
    Jacque

Leave a comment:

• motorworks
    replied
    Just a tip
    I have a folder in the shop with plastic sheeves that you can put standard sheets in
    I print off tables,emails,items from shop forms, etc and have it on hand for quick reference
    Been doing this for years...
    I have shop form notes the likes of: Sir John, Forest,Weird Science,Thrud,and others.
    email from many friends,shop form people,and tech advice from suppliers
    Threads tables from various places on the net, the best being
    http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/index.html
    Taper pin charts,strength charts,bearing fits, material properties etc
    and a **** load of hand written notes on how the hell I did it

just a though
    eddie
    ps copies available at 25.00 + shipping
    Last edited by motorworks; 07-01-2009, 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by Scishopguy
    Sir John....That brings to mind a little trade show giveway that I was given by my former boss at the university. It was a spiral bound, 3"x5" notebook of reference tables, logs and anti logs, trig tables, drill and tap data, and a collection of tips and tricks.
    That's the Engineer's Black Book, with the exception of the Tips and Tricks, which I don't need in a shop book anyway...

Leave a comment:

• Scishopguy
    replied
    Handy little pocket references

Originally posted by John Stevenson
    Over here and I think in OZ we have the Zeus book.
    Pocket sized book, laminated pages about 26, with thread charts, decimal trig, sheet metal bending etc, cost about £5 and is probably on it's 10th release.
    Sir John....That brings to mind a little trade show giveway that I was given by my former boss at the university. It was a spiral bound, 3"x5" notebook of reference tables, logs and anti logs, trig tables, drill and tap data, and a collection of tips and tricks. It was put out in the 60's by Morse Cutting tool. It is the neatest little guide and yet I have not seen anything like it available here in the states. I must admit, I have not been to a trade show since the early 80's, though.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Over here and I think in OZ we have the Zeus book.
    Pocket sized book, laminated pages about 26, with thread charts, decimal trig, sheet metal bending etc, cost about £5 and is probably on it's 10th release.

Everybody in engineering grew up with one in their top pocket.

Latest release, marked Metric revision but then again the last 3 were so marked has dropped the log and anti log tables and replaced them with CNC commands.

Few weeks ago I managed to get a tool companies [ Cromwell Tools ] copy of the Zeus book or rather their interpretation of it, waxy type pages, not laminated but double the content of the Zeus book and cost £2.93.

It won't last as long as a Zeus in the workshop but it's a lot handier.

Got 4 copies, one for office, one to carry in workshop, one for upstairs bog and one for the downstairs thunderbox.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Forgot to add: Tiffie and Sir John turned me on to the Engineer's Black Book -- a much more useful version of the Machinery's Handbook.

Leave a comment:

• uncle pete
    replied
    Lazlo, Yeah I have the Radford book and forgot to list it. Also agree with you about it.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Pete, I have (and read ), just about every machine shop text that I've ever seen mentioned here and on PM, and that's a great list. My favorite overall text is Moltrecht though, and Cincinnati "A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines" is by far the best milling book I've run across.

Robert Smith's "Advanced Machine Work" is excellent, although very dated -- the version that a lot of folks have is Lindsay's reprint of the 1925 Edition, so all the lathe tool geometries, speeds and feeds, are for carbon steel tools, it spends a lot of time describing the Gooseneck and tangential toolholders because the lathes of the day were floppy. I found the 12th (last) edition, from 1940, for $4 on Abe Books, and it's been substantially modernized and extended.

If you like Geo Thomas' books (I do!), J.A. Radford's "Improvements and Accessories for Your Lathe" is outstanding, and Radford and Thomas cross-reference each other.

The best encyclopedia of practical/useful mechanisms I've seen is Sclater's "Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook." The cover of the 4th Ed shows servos and robot arms to imply that it's been modernized, but the majority of the book covers Geneva Mechanisms, eccentrics, linkages, reciprocal motion, ...

It's not cheap, but it's beautifully illustrated, and well documented. Since it was also sold in electronic form, I've seen the PDF floating around too:

Last edited by lazlo; 07-01-2009, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• uncle pete
    replied
    Evan, Thanks for the heads up on that book, Some good stuff there.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    If you are in to designing your own mechanical systems whatever they are I highly recommend Elements of Mechanism by Schawmb et. al. I have the revised 1952 hardcover edition but you can download the earlier 1921 edition for free here:

http://www.archive.org/details/eleme...chan00schwrich

It's a 62mb PDF but you can preview it by reading online first. It covers everything from the design of Ackerman steering geometry to clock gear trains to Watt's linkage to camshafts to involute gears, all with analysis and formulae and drawings.
    Last edited by Evan; 07-01-2009, 08:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OLDHORSESHOE
    replied
    I would add to that list the following:
    Machine Shop Trade Secrets by James A. Harvey
    Shop Theory published by Henry Ford Trade schools
    Both books by J. Randolph Bulgin --- Randolph's Shop and Building Shop

I have also found useful the books published by the United States Navy (and probably other service branches.)

I have a special appreciation for people who take the time to produce books which allow them to share their work experiences. I have never seen a book depicting the wrong way to do things but that would be interesting as well.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Edwards
    replied
    One of my favs is Machine Shop Practice by K.H. Moltrecht vol 1 & 2. About 500 pages each, covers a lot of different things including shaper info.

ME

Leave a comment:

• Thomas Staubo
    replied
    Advanced Machine Work by Robert Smith is available for free here:
    http://www.archive.org/details/textb...vanc00smituoft

Looks like a great book. You can download it in multiple formats or just read it online.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X