Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade dykem

Hi all,

I came up with a simple recipe for homemade layout dye that I thought some of you might be interested in. Mix 2/3 denatured alcohol 1/3 bullseye shellac add powdered Navy Blue Rit Dye to suit. I was really suprised at how well it worked out. Just like the real deal and CHEAP.

Jim
    Jim Koper
    J&R Machining

Dykem is like 2.50 a bottle...

Comment

I don't bother with Dykem anymore as it dry's out to fast, Cap glued to the can, ECT. I now go buy the largest black felt pens I can find at wall mart. (Check for a big fat tip on them) I may spend a bit more money useing these, But no chance of spills, ect. Seems to work better for me. YMMV of course.

Pete

Comment

Like a permanent marker with the steel body? Those things give me headaches something fierce.

To each their own.

I just think it's silly to spend the time collecting the ingredients to make a product that's so reasonably priced to begin with.

Comment

It's not silly when the stuff isn't available localy, its a weekend night your out and the stuff to make it is on the shelf in the shop. If you find no value in it sorry, I thought it might help someone out.
          Jim Koper
          J&R Machining

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shaper
            Like a permanent marker with the steel body? Those things give me headaches something fierce.

To each their own.

I just think it's silly to spend the time collecting the ingredients to make a product that's so reasonably priced to begin with.
            You can get the Marks-A-Lot brand in a giant poster size. Plastic body, no fumes, great big chisel tip, works really nice. I have 6 aerosol cans of Dykem on the shelf but I find I use the marker more and more often.

Comment

Jim

Thanks for the tip. Might not need it, but good information to save.

Bob

Comment

It's so cheap I buy two bottles so I have one on the shelf and one that I use.

Do you have any pics of the home brew in action?

Comment

+1 on "marks a lot".

If yer gonna make your own layout fluid, may as well go whole hog....... copper sulphate with a bit of sulphuric acid (IIRC) in it...... supposed to lay down a copper plating that takes layout scribing very well..... At least on iron and steel.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

A Sharpie works OK for me as long as what I am marking does not have to be accurate, then it I would rather just use a sharp scribe against the material without any kind of ink or wide line.
                    "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

I use sharpies for rough cuts all the time. When you get down to business, having a sharp scribed line will put you close to thou's. When you have numerous features on a part, having the surface dyed can save your bacon.

General makes a nice carbide tipped scribe for about $6 that works great. Lowes carrys them.

Comment

Originally posted by jkoper
                        It's not silly when the stuff isn't available localy, its a weekend night your out and the stuff to make it is on the shelf in the shop. If you find no value in it sorry, I thought it might help someone out.

Thanks for the receipe. I use Sharpies, marking pens whatever but for some applications I like Dykem. I agree with the OP..it always seems I am waiting for one Enco order or another to complete a project.

Steve

Comment

Another vote for the pens, I use some big fat Eddins pens from the local stationers with about a 3/4" wide tip.

I must admit I refill these by standing them in a tin lid of marking fluid overnight, not to be cheap but to save time.

I have a gallon container of marking fluid for a local college close down but I hate the stuff as it's meant to be used.

Damn stuff goes everywhere and Ower Gert has blue hand marks on her knickers for 3 months.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

When Dykem blue gets old, the blue disappears, leaving a clear fluid that doesn't mark anything. Does anybody know why?

It doesn't happen with the red, which I prefer.
                            Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum
                              When Dykem blue gets old, the blue disappears, leaving a clear fluid that doesn't mark anything. Does anybody know why?

It doesn't happen with the red, which I prefer.
                              Jim, My gallon container of Marking Blue, no brand name is at least 20 years old and is still deep blue.
                              I wonder if there are different formulas ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X