Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Ford
    replied
    I'll second that recommendation for the X-Y table. Don't waste your money on those cheap hundred buck ones - they have right hand screws, so they work backwards, and that's a royal pain. A better quality one will have less slop, too.

I replaced my cheesy one with the Grizzly:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/X-Y-Cross-Table/H7659

And, with a 6" cam-action vise plopped on top, I have a rig that works really well for me. Because my work tends to be smallish, it has been a couple of years since I've needed to take the vise/table combo off the drill press table. I simply clamp a heavy wood plate in the vise to work on a small flat table when I want extra clearance.

Another good alternative to drilling lots of holes in your table is to make a fixture plate from a thick hunk of steel or aluminum. You can abuse it all you want with no bad feelings. . .

Leave a comment:

• MickeyD
    replied
    One of the most useful things that you can put on a drill press is a XY table. Sort of like a mill that you can only drill with, it converts it from fairly crude positioning to being able to easily adjust where you are going to put a hole, plus you get T-slots that you can use to hold the workpiece down with. The only real downside is that they are heavy and good ones are expensive unless you get lucky.

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    If you don't have T slots in the table then you can use large deep throat C clamps to hold work or a vise on the table.

If you don't mind the holes in the table you can drill them in a pattern and use toggle clamps to hold work or a vise down. Google toggle clamps. You can mount the toggle clamp on a flat bar and slot it so you can move the clamp where you want it.

Leave a comment:

• Quetico Bob
    replied
    My Rockwell drill press table has a few drill points in it as a result of its trade school shop history

My table is full of them as well. My Uncle had a good solution to this. With small letter stamps put the words “OIL HERE” about them.

Second Scishopguy idea.

Cheers, Bob
    VA3BBY

Leave a comment:

• Scishopguy
    replied
    DP hold downs

Byron...If your table has slots through it you might want to get a couple of those "half vice grip" style clamps that harbor fart sells. They have a threaded stud on the back side, with the stationary jaw removed, and a nut that holds them to the table. They come in two sizes and do a pretty nice job. They adjust quickly (like vice grips are famous for) and slide along the slots to where you need them. I think I paid $5 for the large one and about $3 for the smaller one.

Kant Twist makes a high dollar one for mills and use in fixtures too. They were very quick to adjust but took up a lot more space. They cost about $20 each.

Good luck with it!

Leave a comment:

• Boucher
    started a topic Attaching things to Drill Press table?

Attaching things to Drill Press table?

My Rockwell drill press table has a few drill points in it as a result of its trade school shop history. It does not have any good way of clamping things down. I think I would like to drill and tap some ½ holes. Does anyone have any suggestions re this?
Working...
X