OT Ebay petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Stevenson
    Open ebay, log on and read your messages...................
    That or forward the mail. It might be legit, but only being circulated in Europe, not in the US. It still sounds like phishing to me as it seems to be an e-mail and is asking you to sign a petition, not to contact your local politicos.
    Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      Open ebay, log on and read your messages...................

Did that. Nothing.

I often get phishing messages from ebay and PayPal. They all have a link that I'm supposed to go to and enter some information. As was said, I forward them to [email protected] or [email protected]

As to the other issue, I consider an ebay purchase the same as buying from a neighbor and just don't expect warranty coverage. With Amazon it depends - you have to check carefully.

Gary

Comment

I just logged into Ebay. No messages. Maybe this is something that is geographic in nature.
        Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

same here. i just checked my eBay account and there are no messages. if it DID arrive as a message in eBay's message center, than maybe it is a non-U.S. thing. i still say it's a scam.

andy b.
          The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

OK I think I have it figured out, I googled "Ebay petition" and there is such a thing from E-Bay concerning the UK and it apparently has nothing to do with anywhere else. Something like that here would probably have drowned out all the Michael Jackson BS on the news right now!

Comment

Unfair and even illegal business practises are common.

For example, In my computer store business I would repair printers, ink jet and laser. One one occasion a customer brought me an expensive large format HP ink jet printer to repair. It needed several parts including the ribbon cable to the carriage print head socket. HP has an on line parts locater system called PartsFinder. I looked up the parts I needed but when I attempted to retrieve the part number for the cable in the exploded view it told me "Part not available". That was odd since I had never run into this before. The one thing different was that this was shortly after the "merger" with Compaq.

However, the web site designer outsmarted himself as the name of the image of the cable was the part number. Armed with the part number I proceeded to telephone the parts order line. When I asked to order that part I was in turn asked if I was an authorized HP service centre. I replied that I was not but that it was my business to repair such equipment. I was told that they would only sell certain parts to authorized service centres.

I said goodbye and double checked the appropriate parts of the Canadian Competition Act which regulates business practises. In particular, it specifically prohibits selective dealing in repair parts sales. If a company sells repair parts to any business that isn't an owned subsidiary of the company itself then it is bound to sell at the same time to any and all comers that are in the same business and at the same price. It may charge a higher price to the general public but if I present a federal business number then they must sell it to me at the going price as for their own repair dealers. They may not legally refuse to deal with me.

I called back and when they refused to sell me the part I calmly explained that the law required they sell it to me. This produced some consternation and a long series of "please hold while I transfer your call..."

I eventually ended up, after about an hour, talking to someone in the legal department. I explained that it was illegal for them to protect their authorized repair centres in this manner. This produced a very long "please hold...". When they came back on the line they explained that they had just discovered that they could indeed sell me the part if I called the nearest repair centre and gave a special dealer code that they would supply me on this one occasion.

I thanked them for their trouble and explained in return that I would no longer be servicing any HP products in Williams Lake and as I was the only business doing so it would then mean that they would no longer have any local service in Williams lake, authorized or not, and that their customers would have a three hour drive to the nearest authorized centre.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                When I asked to order that part I was in turn asked if I was an authorized HP service centre. I replied that I was not but that it was my business to repair such equipment. I was told that they would only sell certain parts to authorized service centres.
                Yeah, that's Carly's legacy. She turned a proud engineering firm into a consumer print cartridge company. There should be a special place in Hell...

I had a job offer from the VLSI Technology Center in Fort Collins, where HP designed their PA-RISC, and later the McKinley, microprocessors. My Wife and I loved the area, but even then (2001), it was pretty clear that Carly was going to divest all the engineering work, and focus on ink cartridge sales.

That's also about the time that HP started "chipping" their ink cartridges, so they thoughtfully shut down the printer when HP has decided that it's time for you to buy new ink (instead of when the cartridge is actually empty).
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I`ve been thinking about it and it definitely comes from Ebay Europe which is headquartered in Switzerland.
                  I would think that American law probably prohibits the manufacturers from doing things they can get away with in Europe,so,it`s probable the Ebay.com members will never see it.

Comment

Yeah, that's Carly's legacy. She turned a proud engineering firm into a consumer print cartridge company. There should be a special place in Hell...
                    On top of all that to become an authorized service centre requires taking a "course" a week long in Toronto. You pay all your expenses AND a $10,000 fee to HP for the privilege.

Xerox had a just barely legal way of doing the same thing. Part numbers are NOT usually printed on the part, just a special code. To order a part on the public order line you must be able to supply the part number even though the person taking the order probably has it memorized for all the common parts. They will not look it up for you and if you don't have it they will offer to sell you a manual for only $100.

Lexmark, on the other hand will do anything they can to expedite your order. I can be on the phone for no more than 5 minutes with only a vague description of the part and they will take the order, find the part, process payment and ship it for free via overnight courier.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McGrath
                      I`ve been thinking about it and it definitely comes from Ebay Europe which is headquartered in Switzerland.
                      I would think that American law probably prohibits the manufacturers from doing things they can get away with in Europe,so,it`s probable the Ebay.com members will never see it.
                      Thats why wrangler and Levi Jeans cost £40 ($64) in the UK and the same ones in Wallmart are $15-20 (£10-12.50) which is why whenever I go to the states i go into wallmart as much as some on here hate them.

Steve Larner

Comment

Since only one person received that email, it's probably a scam now that I think about it.

Comment

Interesting. If it is real, I'm not sure I feel sorry for them. Especially since they are making it more difficult for the little guy (at least here in the USA) and catering towards larger businesses. Seems like in the UK (and elsewhere if we get this message as well) that it is the opposite situation. Although I rarely sell anything on ebay I was told this by a friend and have seen several posts about it since. Another thing to look at is where the link/URL for the petition takes you ... is it really still ebay, some survey company, or just an IP? Always look before you click and preferably use "NoScript" if you are using the FF browser.

Here are a couple of links that explains it all:
                          http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...r-ebay-sellers

http://www.leavingfeedback.com/
                          Last edited by RKW; 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM.
                          "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

EBay lost it's suit last year. Is this part of an appeal? Or another suit in a different jurisdiction? The French court (I think it was) upheld the rights of companies to restrict sales to/by authorized dealers. The same thing happens here. You can't buy Ford parts at a Chevy dealer. You also can't buy Ford parts at AutoZone unless the part is licensed by Ford. Sure, you can buy remanufactured parts that fit Ford but they won't say Ford on them. I don't think EBay has a leg to stand on.

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
                              Since only one person received that email, it's probably a scam now that I think about it.
                              Go back and read the the other posts, it was sent to all UK ebay members.

The story is online as well:
                              http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y09/m07/i07/s03

Comment

OK, so maybe it's real

It sounds as if maybe this particular message is only being sent to UK registered eBay members.

Here in the US, we have a "My eBay" page that includes a message page. Any legitimate email from eBay shows up on this page, as well as in my email inbox. Any message that purports to be from eBay but doesn't show in the "My Messages" page is not real.

Do you folks in the UK have this same arrangement? It sounds like it, from what Sir John said. That would be the way to eliminate any doubt about the message.

Comment

Working...
                                X