No announcement yet.

OT Ebay petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It sounds as if maybe this particular message is only being sent to UK registered eBay members.

Here in the US, we have a "My eBay" page that includes a message page. Any legitimate email from eBay shows up on this page, as well as in my email inbox. Any message that purports to be from eBay but doesn't show in the "My Messages" page is not real.

Do you folks in the UK have this same arrangement? It sounds like it, from what Sir John said. That would be the way to eliminate any doubt about the message."

If you read the previous posts you will see that this came from my Ebay page.

Comment

I agree that ebay probably has no legal way to make manufacturers allow sales on their site. Thus the idea to ask UK folks to work to change the law.

But on reflection, I think that all of us would revolt at the idea that Ford, BMW or Lotus should be able to tell us that we can not sell our used cars in the local paper.

I do not recall the result, but I do recall that last year a luxury products manufacturer brought suit against ebay to force them to detect and kill all auctions of their products, even for used ones. They claimed the products were all counterfeit. I think they eventually lost.

OK, now the message sounds Pro ebay, so I am required to state that ebay pays my bills, but that I do not speak for them in any way. I have no special insights nor information. I'm just a grunt. I do know that the employees are not evil.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Ebay lost the court case.
        It was luxury goods manufacturer Hermes who took them to court.

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
          Since only one person received that email, it's probably a scam now that I think about it.
          I've had the same e-mail in the UK as well.

Steve Larner

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill
            Ebay lost the court case.
            It was luxury goods manufacturer Hermes who took them to court.

Actually, there have been a lot of lawsuits, especially in France. eBay wins some, loses some. Laws are like that. L'oreal lost. Hermes won. Tiffany lost. Louis Vuitton won.

LOL. I lost track of the score long ago.

It would be nice if there was only one view about what was allowed on the internet, but it's just not that way.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

It's only a petition and doesn't really carry much weight. Maybe there should be a petition to stop Ebay freezing accounts and forcing people to use Paypal. Allan

Comment

Maybe there should be a petition to stop Ebay freezing accounts and forcing people to use Paypal.
                That is in the terms of service. If you don't like it you click "Do not agree".
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe
                  It sounds as if maybe this particular message is only being sent to UK registered eBay members.

Here in the US, we have a "My eBay" page that includes a message page. Any legitimate email from eBay shows up on this page, as well as in my email inbox. Any message that purports to be from eBay but doesn't show in the "My Messages" page is not real.

Do you folks in the UK have this same arrangement? It sounds like it, from what Sir John said. That would be the way to eliminate any doubt about the message.
                  That's correct. It hasn't shown up in the "My eBay" page so it's not official in the U.S. in any case. It doesn't sound legitimate to me since eBay is not known for using petitions. It would be the first time that I can recall.

Comment

Not in OZ - so far

Back to the purported/supposed eBay email.

Nothing in my eBay "Messages" folder in my account.

Unless I am the odd one out in OZ and assuming that I'm typical, it appears that the genuine message - as seemingly on received in UK - does not apply to OZ (Australia).

There are some very heavy - and enforced - legislation here against cartels, Retail Price Maintenance, collusion and anti-competition pratices in the market-place.

A manufacturer, retailer or reseller of goods that are new can only advise the Recommended Retail Price (RRP) - but it rarely happens now. It has been turned on its head as many retailers use it as a marketing ploy to to show how much you "save" when buying at their advertised price/s as compared to RRP.

Selling fraudulent goods is banned if they are sold as "original" - ie stuff made in Asia and advertised as "original" - ie "pirated" goods. They are confiscated at Customs if caught coming in or Federal and State authorities once "in". Pirated CD/DVD and ""Designer" clothing from external and external (illegal) sources are similarly dealt with. The legislation is intended to preserve the product but not the margin.

Then, of course there is copyright law.

But despite all the opinions thus far, and in the absence of any applicable advice here to the contrary, it seems that the restrictions in place in the eBay sites in the UK/EU don't apply here - so far.

We have quite a number of current Free Trade Agreements that we have to comply with as well.

But again, back to topic, I can understand some genuine manufactures not liking the "Buy it now" stuff on eBay if the manufacuter has an "exclusive/rectricted" dealership/servive arrangements in place, but I'd have thought that would be limited only to jurisdictions where it was legally allowed and enforceable.

Comment

There is no need to send it to US or OZ Ebay users as they have no say in EU matters, only the UK and the EU part of Europe.

You know this is really hard work, there is a world outside of the US you know.

Just screen grabbed this and checked the Ebay link as being valid, it also came over as an email linking back to this page as well.

This isn't the link. it's the main Ebay page that has to be signed in, I entered it not clicked a link.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Ive not had the petition message .

all the best.markj

Comment

Only sent to rich people, poor people need not apply

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                            Yeah, that's Carly's legacy. She turned a proud engineering firm into a consumer print cartridge company. There should be a special place in Hell...

I had a job offer from the VLSI Technology Center in Fort Collins, where HP designed their PA-RISC, and later the McKinley, microprocessors. My Wife and I loved the area, but even then (2001), it was pretty clear that Carly was going to divest all the engineering work, and focus on ink cartridge sales.

That's also about the time that HP started "chipping" their ink cartridges, so they thoughtfully shut down the printer when HP has decided that it's time for you to buy new ink (instead of when the cartridge is actually empty).

don't you be talking smack about dear Carly! i had the pleasure or working for her and her mentor Rich McGinn. two idiots that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a technology company. i don't recall which is which, but one had a medieval history degree, and the other had a psychology degree. perfect candidates for the position of CEO.

andy b.
                            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

I believe we worked for the same company then ...

I have one even better than actual degrees. One of our "previous" CEOs actually "participated" in a Harvard School of Business class. Read: "did not complete..."

Said so right on her resume. Now that is qualification of talent and ability if I ever heard it.

Originally posted by andy_b
                              don't you be talking smack about dear Carly! i had the pleasure or working for her and her mentor Rich McGinn. two idiots that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a technology company. i don't recall which is which, but one had a medieval history degree, and the other had a psychology degree. perfect candidates for the position of CEO.

andy b.
                              Last edited by RKW; 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM.
                              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

This is complicated.I know some companies levi, or wrangler jeans was a good example.They levi or wrangler took Asda a large supermarket to court for selling their products too cheaply. Asda said it was doing so to help their customers, as levi wrangler were too expensive for ordinary folk ,Asda lost the argument went like this wrangler levi whichever I can't remember said that the fact was because that their products were so expensive that they the products were regarded by the customer Us as being as high level product and that to sell them cheaply would ruin the expensive brand image .Asda lost the case in court !!! the jeans manufacturer won.They would not supply their jeans to Asda but asda got them in bulk from the USA were they sold for a lot less than in the uk.Now why am I telling you this simple when you buy a product the warranty is not free it is included as part of the purchase price .Therefore if you buy them cheaper from somewhere not supplied by the manufacturer's consent or will, you may in fact be getting them cheaper but without manufacturers warranty as the manufacturers might argue that cheap meant without paying for warranty.Alistair ps hope this makes sense
                                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                                X