X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asda's now owned by wallmart

all the best.markj

Comment

I know mark but never the less this has nothing to do with the point I am making.regards Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
        This is complicated.I know some companies levi, or wrangler jeans was a good example.They levi or wrangler took Asda a large supermarket to court for selling their products too cheaply. Asda said it was doing so to help their customers, as levi wrangler were too expensive for ordinary folk ,Asda lost the argument went like this wrangler levi whichever I can't remember said that the fact was because that their products were so expensive that they the products were regarded by the customer Us as being as high level product and that to sell them cheaply would ruin the expensive brand image .Asda lost the case in court !!! the jeans manufacturer won.They would not supply their jeans to Asda but asda got them in bulk from the USA were they sold for a lot less than in the uk.Now why am I telling you this simple when you buy a product the warranty is not free it is included as part of the purchase price .Therefore if you buy them cheaper from somewhere not supplied by the manufacturer's consent or will, you may in fact be getting them cheaper but without manufacturers warranty as the manufacturers might argue that cheap meant without paying for warranty.Alistair ps hope this makes sense
        Dunno whether or not it makes any sense. I used to buy Wrangler jeans, haven't had any for donkeys' years.
        Our washing machine packed up last week, & I had run out of working trousers fit to wear. Went to the local ASDA & bought two pairs of own brand jeans at £3 a pair (maybe $5), perfectly wearable jeans. Scarcely worth washing them at that price!
        It begs all sorts of questions about how they manage to buy, import and sell them for that price but just then I wasn't complaining.
        European law gives a basic warranty for all retail purchases anyway.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
          This is complicated.They would not supply their jeans to Asda but asda got them in bulk from the USA were they sold for a lot less than in the uk.Now why am I telling you this simple when you buy a product the warranty is not free it is included as part of the purchase price .Therefore if you buy them cheaper from somewhere not supplied by the manufacturer's consent or will, you may in fact be getting them cheaper but without manufacturers warranty
          That does not matter because in UK law your contract is with the retailer.Therefore what goes between Asda and the manufacturer is no concern to the customer.The retailer by law must sell you goods fit for the intended purpose.

Comment

There was once a big thing with wearing branded jeans ..501's and wranglers ..wernt proper jeans if they didn't have the above names on them in days gone by..

i think its died a death now ..them days are gone

it's a case of who the hell cares what brand of jeans your wearing to me ..or any other type of clothing .

if i can get them for £3 a pair i will buy them ..and don't care a hoot what's written on them..........or if they are womens jeans with the button on the wrong side.

all the best.markj

Comment

Agree there Epsilon, I used to wear levi's exclusively.
              Not for the name, but because they fit well and lasted forever, then they got to be the 'in thing' and price shot up, while quality seemed to go downhill. If you aren't looking for the name, there is no difference between levis and K-mart no-name jeans.
              Still like the levi jackets because of the fit, and I like how the pocket liner makes another pocket inside that's great for keeping a pad and pen while leaving the real pockets open.

Ken.

Comment

Petitioning the EU.

The term "Fit for purpose" has been kicked around without defining what it is and what it mean and how it is applied within and by the EU. Here is a guide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_D...tions_Act_1968

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_assurance

These are pretty well aligned with how it is intended to be here in OZ.

Getting it legislated is one thing - applying it may well be another.

We have "implied warranties" here which over-ride any other warranty that falls short of the intent of the legislation.

"Fit for purpose" may not necessarily get the Trader on the hook, not might it prevent you being hooked instead.

There are rights and obligations on both parties.

All too often the buyer got it wrong and pretty well hooked himself. If that is the case he is stuck with the cost of his indiscretion.

Most of the warranties and advertising are very cleverly written and presented.

The customer is assumed to have made an informed decision in the absence of any proof that the trader was at fault.

I can't see the intent of the legislation being to protect the customer/buyer from himself.

I can't see the eBay petition coming to much of substance.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  Unfair and even illegal business practises are common.
                  I too had a Computer Repair Business. All manufacturers were a pain when they were the sole source.

I have been on both sides of the fence as a Manufacturer Rep and as a Independent Dealer. To summarize my opinion, depending on whether I have taken my meds , the Manufacturer / Authorized Dealer is right, or the Independent Dealer is right. It really is a complex issue.

What really irks me is the Grey Market stuff on eBay. It is all over the place. This thread is about manufacturers not honoring warranty and I think they are justified.

The price of the product as it leaves the manufacturer is made up of based on the costs of many different things. Specific deals are done large customers or international operations / customers that may have very specific terms and conditions. There are products sold by manufacturers without warranty or warranty that only kicks in above certain levels. This products leaves the original customer and re-enters the regular market via eBay. The buyer then tries to claim the warranty. He 'never paid for it'.

The manufacturer can't be held responsible for warranty on these things. I am surprised that the same thing has not happened on eBay US/CA.

Comment

Working...
                  X