X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Ebay petition

Received a message from Ebay entitled "Help end unfair business practices"
    "Please sign our petition"
    It goes on to say how Ebay was set up to help people trade easily with each other,but,that is now being threatened by big manufacturers refusing to let their products be sold on an auction site.Ebay see it as unfair and unjust.
    What they don`t seem to see is the unfair business practices Ebay use like refusing to let you list something unless you offer Paypal.
    When they take the Paypal rule away I`ll consider their petition.

Mark.

Slowly - or not at all

Mark.

I might be missing something here.

How can any manufacturer stop an owner of one of the manufacturers products from selling that product to whom-ever he likes, how-ever he likes - including selling it on eBay?

Has the manufacturer got that much or any control and if so - how much control - and how?

Is this a specific case or is it a general case?

Can this be some sort of scam or wind-up that someone other than eBay has sent you?

I'd have thought that eBay would have explained all that so that people could make an informed decision about whether to sign the document or not.

Most petitions here require your name, address and phone number.

If it were me I certainly would not rush into it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
      Mark.
      Has the manufacturer got that much or any control and if so - how much control - and how?
      Well I can tell you one case. Saitek, who makes gaming controls, refuses to honor their warranty if their product is sold on eBay. I bought a set of rudder controls, brand new, from a eBay retailer. After a week the electronic board failed. Saitek refused to honor the warranty because it was sold on eBay and said they will not honor if sold through an Amazon retailer as well. Retailer refunded my money and is battling it out with Saitek.

Steve.

Comment

Tiff,
        we`re talking here about businesses that are marketing someone elses product on Ebay,and yes,manufacturers have always had that power.I remember a high profile case in UK when one of the ice cream manufacturers refused to supply shops who sold under rrp.

Comment

Don't Do It!

I never got any such message from eBay.

I think it's a scam...a phish email to try to get your personal info. Consign it to the digital incinerator.

Comment

Mark I’m completely with you on this. Hyper-hypocritical Ebay can take a running jump as far as I’m concerned.

Tiffie, it’s covered under Article 7 of the Trade Mark Directive under European Law, and further reinforced by a European Court of Justice ruling in the ‘Silhouette v Hartlauer’ case.
            Essentially the ruling says that a Brand owner creates and promotes that Brand and is entitled to control the Brand image. If it is sold with a certain positioning in that market, as a ‘luxury’ brand for instance, then selling via outlets like e-bay or discount stores is wholly inconsistent with the Brand image created, and the manufacturer can then take steps like this to protect their Brand.

John, here's the full text of the e-mail from Ebay:

FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO BUY AND SELL ONLINE - Sign Our Petition

eBay was built on a simple idea - that we could empower people by building a global trading platform where practically anyone could buy or sell practically anything.
            But that idea is now under threat from certain brand owners and manufacturers who are trying to turn back the clock and block the sale of their products on online marketplaces and other websites across the EU.
            Ultimately, what is at stake is the right of sellers to compete fairly in the wider online marketplace, and the right of buyers to be able to access the best possible deals from the widest possible selection of goods.

Some of these brand owners argue that their objective is to prevent the sale of counterfeits on eBay.
            But thanks to our work with 31,000 other rights owners, only 0.15% of listings last year were detected or reported as potentially counterfeit.
            The real aim of these brands is to block the sale of all their products on
            our site - regardless of whether such items are new or second-hand, genuine or fake.
            It's not just luxury items that are affected, but also everyday items like children's toys, electronic equipment, lawnmowers and pushchairs. And if we want to prevent other brand owners from following suit, we need to act now.
            We are therefore calling on European policymakers to amend EU competition law to stop these unfair
            trade practices. But we need your help to persuade them to take action. If you would like to join our
            campaign against online trade barriers, please sign our petition.
            Regards,
            Your eBay Team

Comment

I understand that the C. F. Marin Guitar Co. of Nazareth, PA won't honor a warranty on guitars sold other than from an authorized dealer. That includes eBay, Craig's list, Amazon, Wal-Mart and the like. I don't see how you could make them provide a warranty when they have warned everyone publiclly about this prohibition.

The bottom line for me is that I really don't care what is or is not sold on eBay. Additionally, the language of the petition is very uncharacteristic for eBay. It doesn't sound as if it came from them.

Last edited by gnm109; 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

i agree with John, i never received such an email. fleabay is a huge international corporation. those online petitions are a big joke that don't accomplish anything, so i see no reason the 'bay would even attempt to promote such a thing. it sounds like a phishing scam to me and i would just delete the email.

if you believe it is real, log onto eBay the usual way and send their support team an email asking if the petition is real.

andy b.
                The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
                  I understand that the C. F. Marin Guitar Co. of Nazareth, PA won't honor a warranty on guitars sold other than from an authorized dealer.
                  i know where that place is!

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Any message from eBay, or any other site with a clickable link is suspect as phishing and should be checked before responding. Simply forward it to [email protected]. They will inform you if it is legitimate or not.
                    Jim H.

Comment

That has got to be a scam! Fellows THINK about it for a second, if E-Bay decided to take action like that you would not have to learn about it through an E-mail from them! Everybody who deals with E-Bay would have gotten the same E-mail at about the same time and it would have been well covered by the news services before the E-mail even arrived. They would try to use the courts anyway instead of a petition, think about it. This is a SCAM!!

Comment

It's not a scam message as it's in your message box inside Ebay and not just as an email.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Common sense should tell you this is a scam of some sort, one person (here so far) gets an E-Mail from E-Bay about this so-called petition and nothing on the news services about it? Would a company as big as E-Bay even attempt to petition for something like this anyway? Get real!

Comment

Open ebay, log on and read your messages...................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                              Open ebay, log on and read your messages...................

OK, I just did and there is nothing there about it but if it turns up there then it obviously would be real. I was under the impression that the OP got this as a regular E-Mail and not an E-Bay message?

To the OP, which was it? It if is in your E-Bay messages then it would have to be legit.

Comment

Working...
                              X